Why can't my computers just all get along?

CADModeller

I've read all the N/W tutorials I can lay my hands on, browsed the net and tried everything I can find, but I just can't get my computers to talk.

I have a desktop computer called Main Machine, running XP Home 2002, SP2, and a laptop running XP Pro SP2. The desktop is hooked up to a wireless router which assigns the IP addresses. I have set the IP's to remain the same all the time. I am trying to set up a workgroup between the 2 computers with no luck at all. If I run the network setup wizard, both computers can see one another, but the laptop can't access the files on the desktop. The desktop can access the files on the laptop, but only for a short while, then everything falls over. At one stage, I'd tried to do the same, but with 2 desktops running XP Home with the same results - the workgroup kept falling over. This is driving me completely insane. Please, please please let there be a simple solution to my woes! :(

I tried this myself once also and got a similar result. In the end I gave and just use a small flash drive to transfer data from one to the other. But some very smart members, like Pat Willener, will be around shortly and will give you the low down on how to sort this out.

Hi CADModeller,

One problem may be name resolution on your home network. If so, since you're using static IP Addresses, you can do a workaround that will help if this is the problem, but won't hurt anything if it isn't. You can make a static hosts entry on each computer as follows:

Double click My Computer, then your main hard drive (usually C:). Browse to the following folder:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Double click on the hosts file. When asked what program to open the file with, scroll down and choose notepad. Be sure the "Always use the selected..." box is UNCHECKED (it will probably be grayed out so you can't check it), then click ok.

The contents will look like the following:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Add two lines in each PC (there are a few ways to go about this, but I think this is easiest) after the 127.0.0.1 localhost line:

192.168.1.x	 Main Machine
192.168.1.x Laptop

Replace the x's above with the IP addresses of the respective machines. Replace Main Machine and Laptop with the actual computer names. Save the file, and see if things work.

Be sure there are no spaces in the computer names on either PC. If there are, change the computer name, then do the steps above using the new computer name.

Hi Homecomputeraid..

I tried what you suggested with no luck. Somewhere in the system permissions are being denied, but there doesn't appear to be any logic to it. At one stage this morning, I coould see both computers (view workgroup computers) from the laptop, but couldn't access the desktop's shared folders. Now, the laptop doesn't have permission to access the workgroup at all. I've tried removing all sharing from all folders, and re-running the networking wizard to no avail. So as of right now, the desktop computer can see itself in Workgroup Computers, and all its shared folders appear in My Network Places.

The laptop can see all its shared folders in My Network Places, but doesn't have permission to access the workgroup.

The workgroup is called HOME.

The laptop is called ACUresearch1 and runs XP Pro SP2

The Desktop is called MAINMACHINE and runs XP Home SP2

.....and one or both of them is about to get a flying lesson!

To narrow the problem to a rights issue or a name resolution issue, on MAINMACHINE, go Start, Run, type cmd, and hit Enter. In the command prompt, type the following:

C:\>ping 

Pinging ACUresearch1 [192.168.1.7] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.7: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.7:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>ping 192.168.1.7

Pinging 192.168.1.7 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.7:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Please copy and paste the results here. To do so, right click on the menu at the top of the command window, and select edit, select all. The entire contents of the window will turn white. Hit Enter to copy the information to the Windows Clipboard. Come back to the forum and right click in your reply, then select paste.

Try the same thing from ACUresearch1 to MAINMACHINE, and again paste the results.

Also, try going to Start, Run on ACUresearch1, and typing \\MAINMACHINE, then do the reverse from MAINMACHINE to ACUresearch1.

If you've already tried all these steps and know the results you've been getting, please just say what's been happening.

Here's the results from pinging:

MainMachine pinging ACUresearch1

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Main Machine>ping acuresearch1

Pinging ACUresearch1 [192.168.0.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.104: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.104:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

ACUresearch1 pinging MainMachine

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ACU Research1>ping mainmachine

Pinging MainMachine [192.168.0.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.105:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Something else I haven't mentioned but probably should have.......I run Zone Alarm Free Edition on MainMachine. Could this be configured incorrectly? I can't find anything obvious there, though....

ZoneAlarm could definitely be a factor. Please test with ZoneAlarm temporarily turned off and see if things work.

Name resolution appears to work for both machines, but something (ZoneAlarm maybe?) is blocking the ping packets from ACUresearch to mainmachine.

[edit]When you temporarily disable ZoneAlarm, be sure the Windows Firewall on both machines is off too.

I tried that with a little success....After shutting down Zone Alarm and the Windows Firewall, I ran the network wizard again on both computers. When that finished, MainMachine could see ACUresearch1 and ACUresearch1 could see MainMachine. However, ACUresearch1 still had permission issues when trying to browse MainMachine. I think it might be time to install XP Pro on MainMachine.....

Don't wanna seem simple and stupid, but d'you think it could be because of your file sharing settings? Maybe they're set to not allow anyone to see it unless they're using the machine they're saved to. lol.

I've been through this and tried EVERYTHING possible, and got there eventually when someone said about this and was like "C**K!"

Don't wanna seem simple and stupid, but d'you think it could be because of your file sharing settings? Maybe they're set to not allow anyone to see it unless they're using the machine they're saved to. lol.

I've been through this and tried EVERYTHING possible, and got there eventually when someone said about this and was like "C**K!"

Its possible - I've started up in safe mode to access all the file sharing/security settings on MainMachine, and set every permission I can find to Full Control. If you have step by step instructions - like File Sharing For Dummies - for Win XP Home and Win Xp Pro, that'd help..