How to disable user writes data out of workstation?

shui

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at, but if you have an Administrator account you can restrict or deny access by others in various ways. Please provide more details mmethw2003 & shui.

Also it depends whether you have XP or Vista and whether you have Home or Professional edition.

How to prevent the data copy from the workstation (such as burning data to cd/dvd, copy the data to usb flash drive, copy the data to floppy disk or etc), that means user only can access the data in that workstation. And all the workstation are using XP pro within my company. Any ideas?

CD / DVD is easy: only give the read-only drives. Floppy may be more difficult: only give the write-disabled floppy disks?

How about USB flash drives?

How about data sent out by email?

If this is a security issue, you may start to look at it from different angles.

shui, looking through an advanced manual I've got I read that if you have XP Professional and are the Administrator, there's large numbers of features for other users that can be enabled or disabled via the Group Policy editor. I've never used it myself, but according to the manual you select Start> Run then type in gpedit.msc. That takes you to the Group Policy window wher you can change details for each or all users. There may be a snap-in that has to be enabled before you can get to the editor. Microsoft have some initial guidance about it HERE. This way you don't have to use any external applications.

I ain't sure if i wanna give this out because if you mess up, i'm to blame, so as long as you know it ain't my fault!, try it.... lol.

But make sure you create a backup first so you can always use the system resotre to restore it to the previous settings...

CD / DVD Burning Capability - Disable

Start/Run/Regedit 
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer Value Name: NoCDBurning Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value) Value Data: (0 = Allow CDR, 1 = Disable CDR) Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'NoCDBurning' and edit the value according to the settings above.

For the floppy disabling the floppy drive i had to make a quick google search for the registry edits, i've found one but it won't let me view it. All the link does is prompt you to Run, Save or Cancel. So i assume that you click on it and it'll run the registry edit on your pc automatically. Keep the site in your bookmarks because there is also another one for Enabling it again...

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

And it's on the right-hand side, about 3/4 of the way down.. Have a search through for disabling the CD/DVD writing ability aswell, just check i wrote it properly. ;)

Hope it helps. :D

I have to say that if you use the Group Policy Editor it makes these changes perfectly safe because it works through the "official" Microsoft systems and all changes are fully reversible. Obviously, it's always advisable to make a back-up before making any such changes, just in case.