Java JRE 6 Update 10 won't uninstall, reinstall, OR install

I was stupid and didn't uninstall Java correctly. I simply deleted the folder without running a proper uninstall. Now when I try to reinstall the same version of Java (JRE 6 Update 10), I get a message asking me if I want to reinstall. When I try reinstalling, I get an error saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

So Windows somehow thinks this version of Java is still installed...but also uninstalled. :rolleyes:

This java version is nowhere to be found in Add/Remove Programs, and that's because I tried using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

How can I reinstall Java? I don't know where I need to go in the registry, as that's probably what the problem is.

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

I would think that after running the Windows Installer Cleanup, you should be able to reinstall the JRE? If not, try a system restore to the point before you deleted the Java folder.

If all fails, try to install the latest official release JRE6u6, since JRE6u10 is still beta.

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

I would think that after running the Windows Installer Cleanup, you should be able to reinstall the JRE? If not, try a system restore to the point before you deleted the Java folder.

If all fails, try to install the latest official release JRE6u6, since JRE6u10 is still beta.

I've tried rolling back to JRE6u6 but I think something is still amiss because it doesn't wanna work with Firefox and Internet Explorer (It did before I installed JRE6u10).

Also, have you had a look at the official JRE Issues (http://java.com/en/download/faq/top_issues.xml) help page? There are various threads there that might help you.

Another option might be to uninstall Firefox & IE7, download & install new versions & see if they accept JRE6u6.

If that doesn't help, & if System Restore doesn't help, do you have a systems or registry back-up to the time before you deleted the JRE folder? If so, re-installing that might solve the problem.

Also, have you had a look at the official JRE Issues (http://java.com/en/download/faq/top_issues.xml) help page? There are various threads there that might help you.

Another option might be to uninstall Firefox & IE7, download & install new versions & see if they accept JRE6u6.

If that doesn't help, & if System Restore doesn't help, do you have a systems or registry back-up to the time before you deleted the JRE folder? If so, re-installing that might solve the problem.

I'm afraid to use System Restore because I recently cleaned some malware off my computer. If the most recent restore point in which JRE6u10 was working properly was a time when I had malware on my computer, will System Restore also restore the malware? That wouldn't be good.

This may be a case where a registry cleaner may come handy. I usually do not advocate the use of registry cleaners, but this may be your easiest way to get rid of "dead" registry entries.

Download and install ERUNT and make a registry backup.

Download and install CCleaner, then run the Registry issues scanner.

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Is this still the message you are getting? This makes no sense - it appears to try a repair install...?

Yes, that's the message I am getting. Something is telling the installer that java is still installed, but it's not.

You say you have used Ccleaner. Can you confirm it was the registry cleaning part of Ccleaner?

The reason for asking is that this software is normally very good at seeking out bits of the registry that don't belong to anything real, such as partly removed programs.

Two possible solutions: install the latest version of Windows Installer (4.5.6001.22159), or install the hotfix from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/893048.

Aaach. I was so excited because that hotfix directly deals with my problem but it doesn't seem to have worked. I still get the same error. :(

Any other ideas? I really appreciate the help.

Also, I am sure I used the registry cleaner in CCleaner. Still no luck.

I also tried solutions B and C on this page: http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/self...4&sliceId=1

However, Solution B does nothing and only brings up a small window explaining all of the different msiexec commands, as if the one provided on the website is outdated?

Solution C didn't work either because right clicking on the setup.exe does not list a version, and neither do the .msi's created in my Application Data folder and Temp folder when the main .exe is run.

I really would like to try a System Restore, but that will also restore malware. I tried restoring the folders using my laptop, and Windows doesn't seem to recognize it as installed...

Again, thanks for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. :) Hopefully I'll magically discover what the problem is. :blink:

Assuming you don't have a pre-problem registry back-up (as I suggested earlier) you can do the System Restore, hopefully get the Java settings back so you can uninstall it/them properly, then clean up the malware, then re-install Java.

But before doing that you could try Windows Repair if you have the Windows system disk, but I doubt that will repair something relating to Java. But it's worth a try as it can't do any harm.

Apart from these 2 options the last remaining choice seems to be a full re-install of Windows... :unknw:

P.S. don't forget to save your important data first.