Removing Hot Fix

xsystemx

Hi everyone,

We have a few workstations that hotfix KB946976 is causing problems and needs to be removed once a week after automatic updates are completed.

I was wondering if there is a command/script that would enable me to remove a hot fix?

Something similar to : msiexec /p STD.msi /x EXCEL.msp /qb- REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Also, I've read that hotfix.exe might offer the functionality but I have not been able to figure i out...

Here is a listing of the files that came with this particular hotfix:

EXCEL.msp

ohotfix.exe

ohotfix.ini

ohotfixr.dll

Thanks.

You might see if Windows Power Shell (free Microsoft utility) lets you do what you're attempting. Sorry I don't know how to offer specific advice for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ll/default.mspx

It is probably possible to do what you want without having to resort to using Power Shell. Are you running Active Directory? What Server environment?

Windows 2000 Server

You might see if Windows Power Shell (free Microsoft utility) lets you do what you're attempting. Sorry I don't know how to offer specific advice for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ll/default.mspx

It is probably possible to do what you want without having to resort to using Power Shell. Are you running Active Directory? What Server environment?

Thanks for all the great feedback.

The problem is that this update/hot fix is affecting excel documents that are pre-generated by a certain service for our company.

The excel spreadsheet works fine with the current version of excel.... but when the second the update is applied, it does not work anymore...

The layout is all off..

Anyone know how to block a specific security update with Windows 2000 server AD or how to remove it using a script?

KB946976 is not a hotfix, but a regular security update; I do not recommend that it is routinely removed after AU/MU/WU. I would rather look how to fix the "problems" in a regular way, rather than by removing security updates.

I have found a script that might do the trick, can anyone confirm?

Set objCollection = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")

Set objSearcher = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Searcher")

Set objResults = objSearcher.Search _

("UpdateID='Windows XP KB912812'")

Set colUpdates = objResults.Updates

Wscript.echo colUpdates.count

objCollection.Add(colUpdates.Item(0))

Wscript.echo objCollection.count

Set objInstaller = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Installer")

objInstaller.Updates = objCollection

Set objInstallResults = objInstaller.Uninstall

Wscript.Echo objInstallResults.Exception

Wscript.Echo objInstallResults.RebootRequired

Wscript.Echo objInstallResults.ResultCode

I also found this:

psexec \\remotemachinename

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB912812$\spuninst\spuninst.exe" /quiet

/passive /f /norestart

I guess I could also execute spuninst.exe locally using a script?

Thanks for all the great feedback.

The problem is that this update/hot fix is affecting excel documents that are pre-generated by a certain service for our company.

The excel spreadsheet works fine with the current version of excel.... but when the second the update is applied, it does not work anymore...

The layout is all off..

Anyone know how to block a specific security update with Windows 2000 server AD or how to remove it using a script?

KB946976 is not a hotfix, but a regular security update; I do not recommend that it is routinely removed after AU/MU/WU. I would rather look how to fix the "problems" in a regular way, rather than by removing security updates.