Remote Shutdown/Restart between Vista and XP

Roman

Hi people,

I know there are already many topics going round the web how to shut down computers from a network. But I've noticed that they are mostly about how to do that between XP <-> XP(or even older) systems. I guess Windows Vista is a bit different. It's more secure and dont accept accesses like that that easy.

I've got a Notebook with Vista and a computer with XP on it. They both are connected to the internet via a router. (Computer is connected via a cable and the notebook via Wireless-LAN) I tried to shut down my notebook from my computer by typing "shutdown -s -m \\[Name of the other computer or Notebook]" into the cmd but for some reason that just doesnt work! :( And several programs from the internet also dont work because I supposedly have "no administrative rights" to perform actions like that on my notebook.

Do I have to make some changes in Vista first, to allow accesses like that or do I have to do something completely different to do that???

Thanks in advance! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I already anticipated that for many people Vista seems still too new since it just "came into the world"^^. Its more like something for the young or middle generation. Not sure if today's older generation will experience the heyday of Vista someday. ^ ;)

scroll through the comments here. Looks like a few people have had sucess. Particularly:

I have been doing some of my own research on this item and thought I would share my findings. I have seen quite a few posts “My user name and password are IDENTICAL for both machines but I still get ‘Access Denied’!” The problem my be corrected by a registry change. See the steps below; I have 2 PC’s and a server at home running Vista/XP/Server 2003 and about 4 more XP machines running under VMWare and the shutdown command worked for all of them after changing this entry in the registry.

1) Start - Run - CMD

2) Type “Regedit” in ‘Open’ dialog box; hit enter

3) In the registry editor navigate to:

My Computer/hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/control/lsa (ensure you SELECT the ‘Lsa’ folder)

4) find the entry for “forceguest”

5) This entry will probably read “1″ (either Hex or Decimal); change the entry to “0″

Hope this resolves the issue for some of you out there. It works great for me and I’m planning to write a script to shut down all the machines at once.