TCPIP problem

zzr

First posted on Windows by mistake... :huh:

I have a pc networked at work which shows a constant stream of data flowing in the connection icon. My CPU is always showing 50% usage and internet connections are starting to slow. Looking in the registry I can see 2 TCPIP settings in the "local machine services currentset001" where there should only be one. I think this is the reason for the problem. I cannot get TCPIP to automatically find IP address in setup and when I put the data in manually I get a message there is another ethernet card with the same setting do I want keep or change the new setting. This makes me think there is a conflict for the network connection.

Can I uninstall TCPIP to clear both registry settings and start afresh by reinstalling from the add new windows progs. or is there more to it than that?

Regards

Brian

What, actually, is the "problem"? Is it the 50% CPU usage? If so, what process is using that much CPU?

What Windows version are you using - I have never seen "currentset001" in the registry before; it is either "CurrentControlSet", or "ControlSet000" etc.

What, actually, is the "problem"? Is it the 50% CPU usage? If so, what process is using that much CPU?

What Windows version are you using - I have never seen "currentset001" in the registry before; it is either "CurrentControlSet", or "ControlSet000" etc.

Explorer.exe is showing a constant 50% CPU usage and wondered if this was the reason for the constant data flow on the network connection. I'm not sure why my "Local area connection" is labelled "...connection 2", it was labelled 3 at one time but after uninstalling some printer driver/connections it's gone down to 2. I thought the number 2 would mean there was another connection setup somewhere and checking the registry it shows a "local area connection and connection 2" in the -Local machine, system, controlset001, network.

These are in 2 seperate directories but the information bar the file names are the same. Can I delete one of these directories ie: the one with "connection 2"?

• 2 weeks later...

Unexplained network traffic could be a chatty application, spyware, or a virus.

Do you have anti-malware and anti-virus installed and up to date?

The DOS command Netstat, or a free program like TCPView may help.

TCPView is available here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897437.aspx

Unexplained network traffic could be a chatty application, spyware, or a virus.

Do you have anti-malware and anti-virus installed and up to date?

The DOS command Netstat, or a free program like TCPView may help.

TCPView is available here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897437.aspx

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded TCPview and found a program "Firefox" in a Mozilla directory constantly trying to connect to a Yahoo site. Unfortunately I can't seem to uninstall or delete either the program or Mozilla directory as they keep returning after reboot. Spyware programs don't seem to find them and have tried deleting from registry but to no avail. :(

If you don't use Firefox, you can uninstall it by going through....

Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.

Wait until all programs are 'populated', then scroll down to Mozilla, touch once, then press 'Remove'. :)

If you don't use Firefox, you can uninstall it by going through....

Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.

Wait until all programs are 'populated', then scroll down to Mozilla, touch once, then press 'Remove'. :)

Unfortunately it's not listed in the program listing.