How can I acquire my WEP settings?

Irene

I have just acquired an old ~ new to me ~ Dell Latitude D800 laptop.

When I try to connect to the internet, it asks for my WEP 'password'.

I don't know it!! Our local PC dealer set it up.

How can I find the connect password? I know it is about security, but this was in April last year! The other laptop connects quite happily. :(

You will need to log into your router on a working computer that is connected via a wired connection. The address is generally http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 or something similar to that. If neither of these work, go to start > run > cmd. type ipconfig and write down your default gateway. Go to a browser and type http://yourdefaultgatewaynumber. I assume it is 192.168.0.1, but it may be different.

Once inside, click the Wireless icon on the Zoom Configuration Manager window. This will open the Wireless Configuration page.

The only thing you will need to change is your Pass phrase. This will populate the fields below with a number/letter combination that is an encrypted version of your above pass phrase. WRITE THIS DOWN. This is your passphrase that you will need to connect wireless. You only need one of them, but you can write them all down just in case.

Once you have saved settings and wrote the configuration to flash, go to your laptop and try to connect. When prompted for a key, enter one of the keys you wrote down earlier and all should be well.

If you are still having problems, you can always set encryption to NONE and connect without a key, but remember this leaves you unsecured, but you will be able to connect while we troubleshoot further.

All of this was found on page 29 - here

SIDE NOTE:

Once you are logged into the router, you MIGHT be able to see the current pass phrase. In this case, just write it down and try connection on the erroneous laptop with that pass phrase. That might work without having to change anything.

Scarecrow Man, you are my star!! :D

You reminded me that I have an icon to connect to the Zoom website. :blush:

There it was... WEP code stated on screen, so I copied it onto the 'new' laptop and Bingo it connected. :kiss2:

Hi Irene,

If you're really concerned with security (if you have neighbours close by, and/or a lot of wireless access points in your neighbourhood) you may consider Wi-fi Protected Access Version 2 (WPA 2) over WEP. Your wireless router and wireless network card will have to be capable of using WPA2 for this to work though.

WEP is a very broken security protocol and is easily crackable using free utilities that can be found on the Internet.