XP Slow Internet Speeds

aviatordave

I recently bought a computer with Windows Vista, but I set it up to dual boot with Windows XP. In Windows Vista, I have 1000 kbps network connection, but in XP it is only 200 kbps. I have run several Spyware scanners, my virus scanner, disabled every running procces I could, but still it stays much slower than Vista. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, aviatordave. Are the connection speeds you mention real speeds (the ones you actually get when downloading) or maximum potential speeds measured by a web-based speed meter? The reason I ask is that these web-based meters often tell you little about the real speeds you get when actually viewing web-pages or downloading.

There are a number of simple real time speed monitors such as NetMeter (available from Softpedia here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools.../NetMeter.shtml) which you can use to monitor your everyday connection speeds. More sophisticated real time meters are also available if you search.

And if I download a file in XP it downloads usually at 25 KB/S and in Vista the same file will download around 160 KB/S. I also have a laptop running XP on the network and it gets the same speeds as Vista.

Interesting... you are getting in each case 12.5 & 15 percent of the maximum speed. If the above solutions don't bring a result it might be worth contacting your ISP to ask if this is deliberate. They are up to all sorts of tricks these days.