Belkin wireless router problems

doug

No. 2 daughter has had some problems over the last few weeks in getting her router to connect to the internet. She's running XP home and using a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless G Plus MIMO Router. Her ISP is BT Broadband. This is all on her desktop and she was using a laptop via the wireless connection. No. 1 G'daughter lives on the laptop. So I went round the other night and checked all the connections back to the test point in the master socket. I then re-installed her original BT Voyager 205 router with minor problems most due to her having re-installed the dial-up options. So I brought the Belkin home and was able to re-install it using my desktop through my TalkTalk connection. So last night I happily went back expecting be be there only a few moments.

However, I re-connected the Belkin Router brought up IE, typed the Gateway address 192.168.2.1 into the address bar IE reported that it had connected to the website but after the progress bar reached ~50% just hanged as before. Rang BT and despite many suggestions the man basically said "Belkin, not our Router." So I brought it back home. Daughter came round this morning to drop No. 2 G'daughter off for the day and I said it was if something had got into her PC and was blocking the Belkin. Funny she said her Anti-virus package expired a couple of weeks ago and she hadn't got round to renewing it! So I'll have to get round and install something and do some scanning but in the mean time is there anything else I should do. I've just re-installed her Belkin using my PC, was able t get through to the Gateway with no problem but this time I installed it using her Internet adress and pasword but of course I cannot connect to the internet because, as I said, I'm on TalkTalk and not BT.

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry I'm not more familiar with the ISP's over there. Does BT require authentication for users to get to the Internet? If so, you'll have to configure authentication on the router. The Belkin could have lst that configuration information and it may have to be re-entered.

I'm also not quite clear on what is and is not working. If you connect a computer directly to the BT Broadband Router or DSL/Cable Modem, are you able to get to the Internet, and do you have to authenticate to do so? If you connect the Belkin to the BT Broadband device, then connect a PC to the Belkin using a Category 5 cable, does the cabled PC get to the Internet and can it bring up the administrative page on the router? Finally, is a computer able to connect wirelessly to the Belkin, and get to the Internet?

Answering those questions will help isolate the problem and give us a specific area to focus on.

Even if the folks at BT Broadband couldn't or wouldn't help you with the Belkin router, they should have been able to help you troubleshoot to isolate the problem.

Hmmm a lot of questions there that I'm not sure if I understand, just demonstrating my senility! By authentication that I think is the problem. When I connected the Belkin to my PC, I was able to open it, using IE and typing in 192.168.2.1 as the address as per the install instructions. This brought up the install page and I was able to type in all my details for the TalkTalk the ISP that I use and was then able to happily connect to the internet. I then repeated the exercise and typed in the details for my daughter's BT connection and after re-booting it there was no internet connection. Presumably because my line isn't a BT line. Have just heard that daughter has again tried it on her PC but the connection failed again. The puzzle is if we connect using her older BT Voyager router the connection works OK. However, she wants the Belkin to work so she can use her laptop as G'daughter hogs the desktop.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible that ehr firewall is preventing the connection through the Belkin. Which firewall she's got - I don't know at the moment. So I'm going back to her this pm and doing some hunting. Any suggestions before I go will be very welcome. I'll link up here using her voyager router.