2 internet connections?

zzr

Looking in the "show all connections" folder I have noticed a second connection icon called "Internet connection" as well as "local area connection". If I disable this 2nd connection I lose the internet. Have I set something up to show this connection ie: "display icon" or is there another connection running parallel?

Does your Internet Service Provider use some form of authentication so you can connect to the Internet? If so, that will show up. Also, if you use Virtual Private Networking (VPN) for work, that will show up.

My ISP is o2 with an ASDL+2 connection if that's any help. No password or username is set to login.

Do not disable the Local Area Connection. Your internet is being passed through this.

In fact, I recently set up a location with a DSL connection. The username and password are programmed into the modem and it automatically connects. When it is connected, there is a connection in Network Connections named "Internet Connection" This is a virtual connection showing the internet is connected. It should not be deleted or disabled.

Do not disable the Local Area Connection. Your internet is being passed through this.

In fact, I recently set up a location with a DSL connection. The username and password are programmed into the modem and it automatically connects. When it is connected, there is a connection in Network Connections named "Internet Connection" This is a virtual connection showing the internet is connected. It should not be deleted or disabled.

Thanks for th info :)

Does your Internet Service Provider use some form of authentication so you can connect to the Internet? If so, that will show up. Also, if you use Virtual Private Networking (VPN) for work, that will show up.

My ISP is o2 with an ASDL+2 connection if that's any help. No password or username is set to login.

I'm also with O2 and I don't need a username or password to connect to the broadband service only access the router settings.

Here's the settings if you use your own router - notice that the username and password are left blank!

This is because O2 know that I can't connect to any other broadband provider as my line is unbundled from BT, i.e. my line is now connected exclusively to O2's DSLAM in the exchange.

• 1 month later...