Setting Up A Wireless Client

JoshFraser

Hey

I am trying to set up a wireless access point (D-link dwl-2000ap) as a wireless client.

I use my friend's router who lives up the road and can only really get a good signal upstairs in the closet room to them of my house anywhere else and it drops out.

So i am trying to set up the wireless client to connect to their router.

Basic set up that i want

[my laptop]---------really long wire-----------[wireless access point] })})})})........wireless connection.........({({({({ [their router]

I have their wep code, channel and ssid. and i have the wireless client set to static on the same range as their router (192.168.1.99) and my LAN connection set to the same range as well (192.168.1.98) these IPs are unused on the network.

what am i missing????

thanks

im already using his internet, im not going to ask him to buy a new router as well, and i cant afford to buy a new router atm hence i dont have my own internet.

im assuming then that the effort involved in setting it up isnt worth it yer?

also on a sidenote dont you have to have a n class card to take advantage of a n class router or not???

It's quite simpler to install a Wireless-N router than it is to fiddle with access points and routing. You could accomplish this, but it would require some advanced tuning, and if one part of the network ever went down it could cause more headaches than you want.

Wireless-N routers have a far superior range, as well as speed. To take advantage of the distance, you do not need to upgrade your hardware. To take advantage of the speed, however, you do.

I can reach my Wireless-N router from down the street and around the corner, where I cannot reach my neighbours Wireless-G router from next door.