Hard Disc Problem ?

TBH1

It must have been all of 2 weeks since I last reported a problem here. Well, since my last 'trouble', well docemented here somewhere, I have been running a program called Drive Health - -monitors health of your disc drives spookily enough - I know you would have probably guessed that from what its called :D

Anyway, the past day or two I have been getting this warning - the discription of which is : -

This is to inform you that nearest predicted T.E.C. date for specified disk drive is very close! This is serious warning and you should start backup important data from this disk or prepare new hard disk for replacement. This warning generates only if the Control Level is higher or equal to "Control and Report Dangerous Changes".

post-26-1061030758.gif

This is also displayed ( don't know how to attach more than one image thats why I am replying to myself - - - )

On the surface I guess I should be worried about this but being a 'doubting Thomas' - - -should I be ? Does anyone know any more of this program - - -I am running a beta free version at the minute.

Grateful for any help here

post-26-1061031094.gif

TBH1

Do NOT rely on the free Beta version of Drive Health - it only monitors 50% of your SMART parameters, unlike the full (paid for) version - which does the lot.

I know you downloaded DiskCheckup from my link here :-

http://www.windowsforum.org/support/forum/...pic=3160&st=110

Run that and see what it says. It checks ALL your SMART parameters.

You can also use the freeware AIDA32 Personal Edition from :-

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32 which under its - Storage : SMART tab shows you the SMART details for your drives.

Your Raw Read Error rate is still way above the threshold for the factor- so I wouldn't worry too much. If the value jumps from 100 to say 65 on one boot and then next boot it jumps back to 100 then there may be a problem.

What make is this drive ?

If you want my advice - run Disk Checkup or AIDA daily/weekly. Save the results and compare them to see which SMART characteristics change and by how much. If they do post back or PM me.

Firstly let me apologise for not getting back on here any sooner - - -been having all sorts of problems with ntl dial-up.

Let me also add that I have done a Norton Utilty thingy on this drive - - no problems found - - plus the IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, again showing up no problems.

Nellie2 - - gonna have a look at the FAQ's right now

Lived Backwards - -as I've said , it certainly seems that way re new hard drive but this one only a few months old - -and owing to problems I have with the shop I got it from, there is no way its going back there.

powerless - - - thanks for your assurance mate.

boris - - - long time no hear mate - - though virtual trouble free computing has seen to that. I have indeed run Disk Checkup - - -nothing appears untoward there. Have posted the image below for my other drive as requested - - they are both IBM/Hitachi ones - - -and sorry for the size of these snap-shots - -have tried 'shrinking' them but they become un-readable.

Thank you all

post-26-1061070832.gif

Drive Temperature is flagged as well as the other TEC !!! ???

Have you been giving it a serious thrashing ? :D

What's the cooling like in the case ? Got any case fans ? Is there room for the air to circulate OK ?

What's the CPU ?

Try AIDA as well now and see what that says.

Under its Computer : Sensor Tab it'll show your CPU etc. temperatures.

Sorry, but I've got to go now, but post your AIDA results and I'll have a look in the morning.

Also - On your Drive Health under Drive : Common Control settings - move the slider up to the top to "Control and Report any Changes" - this will straight away tell you if anything at all changes from one boot to the next.

Boris - thought the drive temperatures were well within the limits - -though gonna look up my other posts as I'm sure someone did say they appeared Ok running at that. ( currently at 39 and 37)

Only fans in the case are on cpu and PSU - - -room in the case but case in a kind of cupboard - -a PC cupboard but a cupboard all the same.

CPU is Athlone 600mhz ( don't you get laughing now :D )

Just gonna instal AIDA32 - - -had this originally but never got round to reloading since my last install - -and have altered the bar in the Common Control settings.

Boris - - have a look at this, that red error message has disappeared - is that coz I altered the Common Control settings ??

I don't think that altering your reporting parameters should in any way affect the SMART monitoring of the drives.

The SMART readings should just provide info/warnings - the drives themselves actually drive DriveHealth - not vice-versa !!

Do as I said - keep monitoring/saving the actual readings daily/weekly and post back if they do change.

Don't let it happen again then - - -well, til the next dinner-time :D

Having trouble staying online right now for more than 5 minutes at a time - - -was blaming ntl but its the same on tiscali - - -maybe will need to open yet another thread here. Just gonna have a tinker with ZoneAlarm

visited PCpitstop - -and apart from one or two security issues, now resolved, my PC appears fine - -think the answer here is to disable Drive Health - - -and hope I don't regret it.

Thank you all - - - and nellie2, ain't you finished that ironing yet ??