Setting up wireless router without wire ?

catgate

Yes, a funny title for a question, but I'm not sure how else to describe the question.

A friend (yes, I still have one or two left) has asked me to help him set up his internet connection using a BT wireless router.

Now I have such a thing but my set up is:-

phone socket

l

filter

l

DSL cable

l

router

l

ethernet socket

l

main computer (linux)

As a result, just firing up the main computer and popping in 192.168.1.1 allows access to the router set up routine.

My puzzle is how can I access the router via a wireless card when the router is not set up for that card?

Do I set up the router "by wire" first and then disconnect and set up the "network" afterwards? Or will there be a set up CD with the BT router that will do it all for us without the use of neurones?

The normal BT Livebox comes with an ethernet cable included - so you can set it up. :)

Just plug it into the laptop's ethernet port.

The instructions/CD are very user friendly (if you actually read them :D )

Some wireless routers permit you to turn off management over wireless. On some, wireless management is off by default. My recommendation is to set it up over a wired connection, disconnect the cable, and get wireless working and secured, then turning off wireless management. Unless you know how to make the wireless connection very secure, there's a good chance someone could get in and do things with your wireless router including locking you out.

Some wireless routers permit you to turn off management over wireless. On some, wireless management is off by default. My recommendation is to set it up over a wired connection, disconnect the cable, and get wireless working and secured, then turning off wireless management. Unless you know how to make the wireless connection very secure, there's a good chance someone could get in and do things with your wireless router including locking you out.

Thanks for that, h/c.

My friend has the only motor repair business in the area and he was called out to five breakdown/recovery jobs on Monday. That was the evening planned for the fumbling and swearing. As a result he and his men have been doing evening shifts since then to try to get everything back on the road. Looks like a weekend job.

His house is right on the edge of a small village with no other dwelling within 75 yds. My intention was just to run a normal encryption.

Good luck Catgate,

Try to use WPA2 on the router and the wireless card(s) on the pc(s) with a long, randomly generated password like the ones aveilable here:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

You can copy and paste the password from the web site into notepad, then copy and paste into the router configuration and the wireless nic configuration. I also take a layered approach enabling less reliable methods like MAC Address Filtering and reducing transmission power if full power is not needed.

Sincerely,