SVCHOST.exe, does this manage Audio Drivers?

Hb_Kai

One day when the processes on my laptop were making everything go too slowly I decided to close some of the stuff I was using via Task Manager, I accidentally closed the svchost.xe (SYSTEM) which after that sound stopped coming through the speakers and an error prompted informing me that there was a problem with the sound drivers.

I didn't realise that this was the problem at first and went through a load of different ways to fix them and figuring out the only way I could fix it and bring the sound back on would be rebooting the laptop. I done that and done the same again but this time realising what I accidentally did so I decided to test it with the sound on one day.

Does svchost.exe actually manage the audio drivers? I didn't think it did, I thought it was just system and driver information, not switching features and drivers off.

Svchost processes are service processes; they just do what they are called to do. You may have noticed that there is usually more than just one active; each of them are used by different other processes.

Use Process Explorer to see what is using what svchost process.

• 5 months later...