a-squared Free 4.0

a-squared Free 4.0

• Scan your PC for infections of Trojans, Viruses, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Bots, Keyloggers and Dialers.
  • 2 Cleaning Scanners in 1: Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware.
  • 4 million users world wide rely on a-squared to clean their PC from Malware.

Details and download:

• 3 months later...

I've been using this product on my PC for some time & find it very thorough. However, after the last update it reported 5 trojan infections. Well, two really, the other three were in restore points & back-ups. The name of the 2 reported infections was the same - it was a very old and obscure Trojan.

I scanned with 3 other products, including a deep scan in safe mode with ESET/NOD32. Nothing found by any of them.

I then investigated the files where the 2 key reported infections were based. One was NetMeter (an internet speed monitoring application) and the other was part of Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal tool (which I had downloaded last month for the first time in more than a year).

I thought the A-squared Free findings were likely to be false positives & went to their forum to check. I immediately noticed quite a few reports of false positives & some bad tempered replies by their Admin. Last week the forum was apparantly shut down for several days. Coincidence?

Conclusion:

A-squared Free is a very thorough product, but you need to double or treble check it's results before deleting or quarantining anything.

That's a very bad sign - not reacting to bug or false-positive reports; worse, angry replies, deletion of forum posts, or even shutting down the support forum. I have seen that in the past with Lavasoft and Symantec, and it's definitely not something to enhance the reputation of these companies and their products.

Thank you for the feedback on this issue; we should keep a watchful eye on this.

I stopped using it some time ago. In addition to Eset Nod 32 security suite, I use Malware Bytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot S & D and Spyware Blaster. :D I too experienced false positives with Adaware.