Unable to format disk

collins

I had wanted to reformat an hdd (slave) which was infested with a malware. However all attempts to get it reformated has failed, even when formatting process was executed using DOS. When I try formatting using right-click->format it will be going through the formatting process and when it seems like it is about to be completed I get the message "formatting of disk could not be completed". What should I do to reformat this disk?

I've had some disks like this. One of them was completely intractable and didn't respond to anything further that I tried. One or two of the others I managed to recover by doing a low level format and then formatting to a recognised file system (FAT or NTFS).

Low level formatting is best done using the disk manufacturers own software which can be found on their website. Failing that, a Google search will bring up some independent programs to do it.

The disk that didn't respond to a low level format was replaced under warranty by the manufacturer. Depending how old the drive is, you may be able to get it replaced. Check the serial number of the drive on the makers website and that will tell you: 1) if its possible and 2) the procedures for obtaining the replacement.

Are you actually trying to format while Windows is running? Boot into the Windows install disk, and formatting should succeed. Make sure you format the existing partition, and not create a new one.

This disk under discussion is not the system disk (ie C-drive) but the slave. Should I go through with this install disk stuff for this disk?

If you log on to windows then you can't format it, but if you want to format the complete hard drive then boot your computer with bootable cd and select the option of formating that should full format with NTFS format. If you go for full format then it will remove all the virus from your hard drive.

How do I get a bootable disk? pls

I've had some disks like this. One of them was completely intractable and didn't respond to anything further that I tried. One or two of the others I managed to recover by doing a low level format and then formatting to a recognised file system (FAT or NTFS).

Low level formatting is best done using the disk manufacturers own software which can be found on their website. Failing that, a Google search will bring up some independent programs to do it.

The disk that didn't respond to a low level format was replaced under warranty by the manufacturer. Depending how old the drive is, you may be able to get it replaced. Check the serial number of the drive on the makers website and that will tell you: 1) if its possible and 2) the procedures for obtaining the replacement.

Hi Pops,

My disk is a Maxtor 4K080H4 (80gb) disk. I went to the Maxtor site but was unable to get the low level formating software. How do I get the software for your recommended process?

Hi Pops,

My disk is a Maxtor 4K080H4 (80gb) disk. I went to the Maxtor site but was unable to get the low level formating software. How do I get the software for your recommended process?

I got a low level formatting software installed from HDDguru.com but I got the error message "seek error occurred at offset 2147483648". What do you advise I do again. Or is the hdd beyond repair or reformatting?

Hi Pops,

Hi,

I was able to do the low level formatting with the version 2.36 of the low level format from the hddguru.com site. Thanks.