Ad Aware - Is It Necessary ?

AlanHo

Acting on the advice on this forum, about 3 months ago I installed Adaware and have regularly updated and run it - always finding about a dozen data miners each time.

I then picked up and applied the following advice from another bulletin board :-

In IE6?

Tools menu, Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced.

Check Override Automatic Cookie Handling.

Set First Party Cookies to Accept

Set Third Party Cookies to Block

Check Always Allow Session Cookies

This should reduce the number of "data miners" you pick up.

Since I made this change to IE6 - Adaware has never picked up any data miners. The IE change seems to be blocking them.

Is Adaware therefore now redundant - or has the change to IE settings blocked cookies that I should really let through. I have not noticed any problems - but they may be lurking for all I know.

Always worth using Ad-aware - for any spyware - not just cookies.

I use :-

Spy Sites,

Spyware Blaster,

Spybot Search and Destroy and

Ad-Aware

- to complement each other in keeping spyware, adware, bots, ActiveX etc. off my PC.

But I am PARANOID ! :D

Guest Nellie2

If you go to PC Pitstop and run one of their tests it will let you know if your security settings are a bit out. Very handy I have found.

I also run Ad aware, spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster. Its a bit like walking down the road and falling down a hole!!!!! If you had your eyes open as you were walking down the road.... you would have seen the hole and not fallen down it in the first place. :) :huh:

Hmmmm............. I'll work that one out in a minute!!!!!!