Mailwasher - Does It Make A Difference

AlanHo

Acting on advice read on this forum I installed mailwasher some months ago - hoping it would help to reduce spam.

I have invariably used Mailwasher before opening Outlook Express - bouncing all the spam that showed up. I could delete unwanted items just as effectively by using webmail - but Mailwasher is just as convenient and has the bounce mail feature.

However - despite blacklisting hundreds of sites - the spam continues apace. It's got worse rather than better.

It seems that the spammers are not affected by Mailwasher - they constantly change their addresses - which negates its effectiveness.

Is there any other anti spam programme more effective - otherwise I think I will revert to using webmail.

Guest Nellie2

bouncing used to work.... I use mailwasher still because I like to download my emails into Outlook express but can preview them using mailwasher. I don't bounce anymore because unless the mail bounces back almost as soon as it is sent then the spammers have got wise to the bounce feature and assume a live addy. I just delete from the server using mailwasher. It has taken time but I get very little spam these days.

I came accross this the other week... just a different slant on mailwasher I think

http://www.windowsforum.org/support/forum/...?showtopic=3630

Having nothing much to do on a wet and miserable morning, I decided to count the blacklisted addresses in Mailwasher. To date there are 1246. Who has more??? Does anyone know if there are a maximum number of blacklisted addresses that Mailwasher can hold?

andsome

I'm no computer buff and may be talking a load of rubbish - as usual - but I reckon these blighters who send out spam keep changing their addresses.

I haven't counted 'em - but I have a long list of blacklisted sites too. My Mailwasher often highlights "Possible spam" amongst the rubbish that pours in every day - but is rare for it to show that it has intercepted a blacklisted site - which leads me to the above conclusion.

Hence my original question - is Mailwasher now effective ? I wish it was but personally doubt it

Stick with it Alan, at least you can check out your mail at the servers end without it actually downloading to your computer. This greatly reduces the chances of getting a virus. I can truthfully say that probably half of my spam shown up in Mailwasher each day, is from previously blacklisted sites.

andsome

I've had to give it up. From time to time after I opened mailwasher and it had finished downloading files but was doing its bouncing stuff before starting Outlook Express - my computer would freeze for about a minute or two, then unfreeze without intervention, then freeze again repeatedly.

Even if I closed Mailwasher the problem remained and ofttimes I have had to push the reset button on my computer to reboot it because the computer was frozen.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Mailwasher - no joy. I have restored my computer back a month (using the Windows XP restore facility) when I did not have the problem - again no joy. So having reached the last straw I uninstalled it and now use webmail to check my inbox before using Outlook Express.

Nel

Thanks for the suggestion - but I have decided to go back to my Blueyonder webmail to preview and delete undesirable messages before downloading to my computer.

It is just as convenient and involves no more 'mouse clicks' than other methods.

I have lost faith with blacklists - spammers get round them easily.