OKI C5650 Colour Laser Toner

A couple of days ago my OKI C5650 colour laser printer stopped working showing a warning sign "M Toner Empty".

As usual - it had been warning me for a few days that I needed to order new toner - but on previous occasions the warning has displayed for 6 weeks or so before the printer stopped due to empty toner. I was aware of the need to order new toner which I intended to do in a couple of weeks.

Not having a spare cartridge - I removed the magenta toner cartridge, gave it a shake and put it back - not really expecting it to rectify the problem. To my surprise the printer sprang to life again and is still working OK a couple of hundred copies later.

I have a new cartridge on order - but it will be interesting to see how long the existing one runs OK.

Hence the next time a cartridge becomes "empty" I will try the same trick.

I'm surprised that OKI don't make the suggestion of shaking the cartridge.

HP and Brother both state that you can get an increase in the life of a laser cartridge by shaking it to redistribute the toner within.