"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem

shokan

Every once and a while, when visiting a site, I get the message above. IE8 then attempts to recover and the "needs to close" message appears for a second time. There is no alternative but to click on Close and IE 8 displayys an error page 'We were unable to return you to Blahblah.com'. Repeated attempts by me to visit the site result in the same scenario. An example is a link in a recent email linking to Autodesk.com for a page announcing Alias Sketchbook Pro 2010. The content of the sites this Close error occurs for are not in any way dangerous. I have looked around on the web for a solution and have tried the following: uninstalling Adobe Flash Player 10 and reinstalling; ticking 'Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed' under Advanced tab of Internet Options. Nothing has worked. My security, content and privacy settings are low-medium.

This problem seems to have coincided approximately with installing IE8, but not right away, as far as I can remember. BTW, I am running XP Pro, SP3.

Any ideas? I am blocked completely from visiting certain sites. One of them I was finally able to open by using a site called FilterBypasser and browsing from there, so this may be a clue.

Thanks.

Do you get any additional information from the Event Viewer? It might be an add-on, and not IE itself causing the problem. Try running Internet Explorer in Safe Mode (Start -> Run -> iexplore -extoff).

Does the problem also occur with an alternate browser, e.g. Firefox?

Or revert back to using IE7, or even IE6. I think IE8 was primarily developed for the new operating system Windows 7 (still being tested) and was released early for marketing & testing purposes.

I note it doesn't yet feature as an essential or even recommended update for XP users on Microsoft update sites.

Or revert back to using IE7, or even IE6. I think IE8 was primarily developed for the new operating system Windows 7 (still being tested) and was released early for marketing & testing purposes.

I note it doesn't yet feature as an essential or even recommended update for XP users on Microsoft update sites.

I disabled my add-ons. Doesn't affect the problem.

I typed in iexplore -extoff in RUN, which brings up IE page saying 'Internet Explorer is currently running without addons'. From this page, I navigated to a site I have the problem with; the problem still occurs.

About reverting to IE7, can you explain how to do this? I prefer IE8 however, so I'd like to try more possible fixes first.

The problem does not occur with Firefox. I can switch to this browser to reach the problem sites if I need to. But, since I prefer IE, I'd like to resolve the problem.

Thanks.

About reverting to IE7, can you explain how to do this? I prefer IE8 however, so I'd like to try more possible fixes first.

Details here

I uninstalled IE8 and IE6 took over. The problem does not occur running IE6. I reinstalled IE8 and the problem came back, so it is an issue with IE8 and XP SP3.

I tried IE8 on my laptop for a couple of weeks (XP Home + SP3) but uninstalled it because there are a number of news sites which it cannot handle, even in compatible view. IE7 seems to be able to handle these sites, but I've noticed after 3-4 months of use it starts playing up ("Internet Explorere has run into a brick wall...blah,blah..."). So I then uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs, download a new copy of IE7 & everything starts working fine again. All settings, bookmarks, etc, are preserved automatically.

That's Microsoft for you... :uhm: