Monitor Problems

After my computer has been switched on for an hour or so - I am getting an intermittent problem with the display that is random and not associated with a particular programme or activity.

There will suddenly be a slight "shimmer" of the display - and the colour balance of the screen will change. Still a very acceptable picture in quality - but seemingly a change from daylight to artificial colour balance or vici versa.

After a while it will change back again on its own.

What is the most likely cause, monitor, graphics card or graphics driver ?

AMD Athlon 1800XP

NVidia GeForce2 MX400

LG Flatron 915FT Plus monitor (CRT)

Evening alan, it does sound like the screen is suffering from some form of outside interference as Redhat suggests. Check that you have not moved anything closer to it recently ie. speakers etc. (anything which produces a magnetic field).

Also as suggested by LB, it may be worth checking to see if you need to upgrade your graphics card drivers, but I'm not too sure that is the problem here. I think you would be better off making sure you have the correct LG software drivers for the monitor, and I would manually degaus the monitor as well, just to clear any residual effects. If you are unsure how to degaus your monitor, the manual is available from the LG website LG 915FT Plus The degaus info is on pages 10 and 17 of the manual (pdf format), and you can also download the latest LG drivers from that link.

Good Luck. Mr. Mouse.

Thanks for the contributions guys.

There is no magnetic or radio items near the monitor and my LG drivers were already bang up to date. My speakers are where they have always been - about 18" from each side of the monitor with the woofer on the floor under my desk. I had already tried degaussing the monitor and had also reset the colour balance using the software facility in Control Panel, Display, etc and also the manual buttons on the monitor itself. When I did this - the monitor was OK for a while before developing a mind of its own again.

I have downloaded the latest Windows Xp NVidia driver and installed it. The screen has behaved itself for the past hour - but it has lulled me into a false sense of security before - so will give it a few hours tomorrow with my fingers crossed.

Was it significant that no-one pointed a finger at the hardware - either graphics card or monitor - or are we saving the most expensive treat until last. Will post the results of the current set-up after a few hours of 'computering'.

Thanks again.

Was it significant that no-one pointed a finger at the hardware - either graphics card or monitor - or are we saving the most expensive treat until last. Will post the results of the current set-up after a few hours of 'computering'.

No one likes to be the bearer of bad news alan :( How's it going now?

Another thought I've had, is that you could be experiencing a "dirty" power supply. Are you having any trouble with anything else in the room/house?

Mr. M.

Mousy

The only trouble in the house is the wife. :unsure:

However - the monitor continues to play up despite all the software and setting changes I have made so I am now convinced it is a hardware problem. Possiblly the graphics card, but knowing my luck it is more likely to be the monitor cuz that's more expensive.

I get used to being the victim of bad luck - if I fell into a barrel of bosoms I would come out sucking my thumb. B)

Mousy

My monitor is 20 months old and still within the 3 year warranty.

However :-

On 18th July 2003 it was changed because the display width kept changing

On 1st August it was changed again due to internittent colour cast changes - exactly as I am now experiencing. This is why I suspected it might not be the monitor this time.

On 6th August it was again changed because the previous one had severe transit damage to the screen bezel. This replacement has been OK until about a week ago.

It looks as though I have to do it all again - but the damned thing is so heavy and my study is upstairs - hence I was praying for a software fix to avoid the need to hump it up and down the stairs yet again.

but the damned thing is so heavy and my study is upstairs - hence I was praying for a software fix to avoid the need to hump it up and down the stairs yet again.

I thought that was why you had the wife!! :D :P ;) ONLY JOKING ladies.

I guess it could be a problem with your graphics card. You would be very unlucky to have another faulty monitor. We have approx 300 LG monitors amongst our machines at work, and I must say we have very few failures, probably only one or two a year.

Perhaps if you explained the problem to the retailer, they may be decent enough to come out and check for you. After all, it may be in their best interest rather than keep sending out monitors.

Mr. M.

CONCLUSION

Organised a replacement monitor - phoned LG at 4.0 pm and the replacement came following day at 2.0 p.m.

The monitor is now OK so I can discount any thoughts of problems with drivers or the graphics card.

awesome service, glad you're problem is now fixed, lets hope it doesn't start again in a few months time!!