Installer Error

I did not catch the blaster worm, although I am still feeling the impact of the Kliez (?) virus. So to be on the safe side I decided to update everything Microsoft said to and also put in a personal firewall. I have a Dell P4 1.5 with ample HD & RAM. I have always used Norton AV and took advantage of an offer they are making which bundles NAV 2003 with their firewall for $39.95. Anyway, after I downloaded the programs and tried to install I got an error message under the heading "Installer Information". It said: "Error 1606. Could not access network location %SystemDrive%\My Documents\". My apps and WK2 are on the C drive. I had messed with moving the My Documents folder a long time ago to help with sync problems I was having with a Casio PDA, but I have installed a great many programs since then with no problem. I have combed the net for a suggestion on what to try to get the installer working again, as Dell's tech support consisted of the suggestion that I just format the C drive and that might take care of the problem! Symantic suggested some registry changes which did not help and then just said, "We don't know, call Microsoft". If I understand the pricing at microsoft, the call runs about $140 with no guarantees. Other software companies on line suggested various fixes to help when their software hung up on Error 1606, but non of them helped me. I tried to install other software besides Symantic to see if that was the problem, but it would not install either. I even uninstalled SP4 for windows but nothing changed. That was the only "uninstall" offered in my control panel although I downloaded other microsoft patches. I have no antivirus on my computer now as the new Norton program required me to uninstall the previous version before it could be installed, but alas, as I said, when I tried to install I got the Error 1606. I even found a program from Microsoft that supposedly "cleans" your installer program, but guess what, I can't install it! Catch-22 or what?? If anyone has any suggestions I would really be all ears. In the meantime, if you need to reach me by email for some reason please send it to my wifes email as she has been much less conscientious about updating so naturally her machine works fine! Her email is [email protected]. Thanks in advance for taking time to help if you can.

Guest Nellie2

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am hoping that you will be able to get on line to see the replies posted. But if we don't hear from you then I wil send you an email.

I am not sure that I can help you with your problem but there are a couple of people here who probably could so watch this space.

I know you like Norton but in the meantime you must protect yourself and your PC. Redhat did a little article for us on securing your system for free. You will be able to download free antivirus and a free firewall to run while you are trying to fix your Norton Problem. Look here for the info.

http://www.windowsforum.org/support/forum/...?showtopic=3702

Guest spikeychris

You say you have hacked the registry, what did you do? Have you checked the Go to: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She

ll Folders? if not go to the the key and ensure that the Common Admistrative Tools entry is correct.

It should read:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative

Tools

Hi & thanks for the support. It's lonely out there when your lifes work is on a machine that wants to take a vacation!

I am able to go on-line, I just don't check any mail or allow any cookies.

RE the registry:

Following Symantec's instructions, I tried two things (1) Searched for the value "55EB66EFB74A75B4D9E26680831FE059" (values are zeroes and not capital O's) anywhere in the registry and delete it. I did not find any occurance of this value and I entered it and searched twice to make sure the entry was correct.

(2) I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and made sure that all entries on the right side of the screen read "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%"; such as "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs".

No Help.

I checked the Common Admin Tools entry in Shjell Folders and it is correct.

I downloaded the suggested file from "kellys-korner" and ran it, but no help.

One point of interest that may help someone help me (I sound like the movie Jerry McGuire):

In my search over the net I came across a solution offered by the software company Intuit for use when one of their customers had this error message when trying to install Quicken. Their instructions read:

1. Right-click the Microsoft® Windows® Start button and choose Explore. Locate and then right-click the My Documents folder, and then select Properties.

(Note: By default, the My Documents folder is located at C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents, where C is the drive where Windows is installed, and user name is the user who is currently logged on.)

Click the Target tab, and then follow one of these options:

Click Restore Default, and then click OK.

Type the path to the folder that you want in the Target field, and then click OK. For example, type C:\My Docs. If the folder does not exist, the Create Message window will appear. Click Yes in that window to create the folder, and then click OK.

Click Move, select the folder where you want to store documents, and then click OK. If you want to create a new folder, click New Folder, enter a name for the folder, and then click OK.

______

I did not have the My Documents folder at that location, although I had been able to install other programs. I moved it there and right clicked on it but did not find a "TARGET" tab. Inn my "My Document Properties" window there were only two tabs, "GENERAL" and 'SHARING". I'm not sure of the significance of this, but I thought I would mention it.

Again, thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. Any more ideas??

Guest spikeychris

The path to the My Documents folder is stored in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Personal

Type: REG_SZ

Value: fully qualified path to storage location

What does yours say?

Did you hit F3 in your search for 55EB66EFB74A75B4D9E26680831FE059?

When you right clicked the my docs it should of opened with the target, ie: the path should of been in a box in the middle of the screen. What was there? and whats there now?

Guest spikeychris

Plan 'B' click here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...001092114452606 and use the How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility. Re-install it and see what happens.

Was this the info you recieved >>

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box

appears.

2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor

opens.

3. Click the Edit menu, and then click Find. The Find

dialog box appears.

4. In the Find What box, type or copy and paste the

following:

55EB66EFB74A75B4D9E26680831FE059

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------

Note: These are zeroes, not capital O's.

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------

5. Make sure that Keys, Values, and Data in the section

headed "Look at" are checked.

6. Click Find Next.

7. Click the 55EB66EFB74A75B4D9E26680831FE059 key.

8. Press Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the

deletion.

9. Press the F3 key to search for the next instance of

this key.

10. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for each key that is found until

you see the message that the registry editor is finished

searching.

11. Exit the Registry editor.

12. Restart the computer and log on as Administrator.

13. Depending on when the error occurred, install or

uninstall NAV and restart the computer.

spikeychris: Four great suggestions, thanks!

(4) I did use the Rnav2003.exe to remove my old nav, but the catch is that I can't re-install it or anything else right now.

(3) When I right click on My Docs I get a box that has a "target" line in the middle of it that correctly identifies the location of My Docs as

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents".

(2) When I enter the 55EB66 etc number in the find window of the registry and then hit the FIND button, it searches and then shows the message " Finished Searching Through The Registry" but does not show any instances of finding that value.

(1) This may be pay dirt!! When I go into the registry to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal

It shows type: REG_SZ

but the path is wrong. It only shows "C:|My Documents", not the true location as shown above under #3. Should I change the path to read like #3 above? I did not realize that Personal meant my settings. What do you think?

Guest spikeychris

Good morning. No I wouldn't change the path "C:|My Documents", leave it as it is for now. Have you checked the key [HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use

r Shell Folders] to see if it says >>

"Personal"="C:\\My Documents"

Guest spikeychris

Theres also the option of deleting the user profile. You could delete the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username folder that contains your My Documents folder, desktop settings, Start menu, favorites, and cookies. This method also deletes the profile from the ProfileList key in the registry.

This will not remove your ability to log back on to the same computer. Doing so creates a new %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username folder. This does not re-create the user's previous documents, desktop settings, Start menu, favorites, and cookies.

Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the User Profiles tab.

Click your profile that you want to delete, and then click Delete.

Chris

BACKUP FIRST

Good Morning. Where are you located? I am in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC, USA.

I checked the key HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

User Shell Folders: Personal.

It says "%SystemDrive%\My Documents", just like the error message I receive.

Is there some relevance to the path not being correct in the "shell folders" key and the above value in the "user shell folders" key?

What is SFC??

(Oh, and once again, thanks for your efforts!)

Guest spikeychris

Good afternoon. Unfortunately I don't live in such an exotic place as Washington USA I live in Blackburn Lancashire UK (not to far from Manchester)

SFC stand for system file checker, if you run it, it repairs all system files. The first reg check we did ie: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal shows

"C:\\My Documents"

The second one, HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

User Shell Folders: Personal shows "%SystemDrive%\My Documents.

Change "%SystemDrive%\My Documents to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Back up the reg first.

Chris

Guest spikeychris

What do you get from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders Common Administrative Tools? does it read:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools?

Exotic? You and I must both operate on the "grass is always greener" premise. Let me define exotic from this side of the pond: Traffic gridlock each day, all day. Cost of living so high that both mates must work hard to break even. Two hour drive to see any countryside and all for the privledge of living near the #1 target for most of the terrorists in the world!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch..................

I changed the HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

User Shell Folders Personal from "%SystemDrive%\My Documents.

to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents.

When I rebooted, my original message "Error 1606. Could not access network location %SystemDrive%\MyDocuments\" change to now read

"Error 1606. Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\

This was the exact change you suggested and I made!

The other key you asked about:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders Common Administrative Tools reads

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" instead of All Users as you asked.

Does any of this help?

Guest spikeychris

Try again :o) I haven't been able to use my 2K system as its been down but Ive just rebuilt the reg so we can try something else. I think this depends on what user name you are using and if the profile is corrupt.

Leave the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\ as it is for now but it might have to be returned back to "%SystemDrive%\My Documents latter.

The first reg hack we did....this is the one that matters now. This depends on how you log on.

Go back to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal and where it says "C:\My Documents" change it to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents (IMPORTANT, YOU WILL HAVE TO LOG ON AS ADMINISTRATOR FOR THIS TO WORK AND IT HAS TO BE EXACT)

On second thoughts change the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents back to %SystemDrive%\MyDocuments at the same time.

With a bit of luck this should work as it will repair the admin profile.

BTW

Grass is always greener. Yeah your right, the image of America has still got its glamour here (small ex mill town in the middle of Lancashire) if theres one thing we do have is countryside...by the bucket full.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Chris

Good Morning! Maybe when this is over we can chat. My father always used to say that there had never been a coin minted that did not have two sides. I like to talk about the "other side" of each of our coins.

Anyway,

I went to "shell folders\personal" and where it had said "C:\My Documents", it now already reads "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" as you

requested. I did not change it.

(I log on as Administrator since this is a stand alone computer.)

I went to User Shell Folders\Personal and changed "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents" back to "%SystemDrive%\My Documents".

When I rebooted and went back into the registry the "shell folders\personal" had changed itself back to "C:\My Documents".

When I tried to install one of the programs that are waiting on my desktop, the error message went back to the original "Could not access network location %SystemDrive%\My Documents|".

Remember, when I changed the user shell folders\personal to %USERPROFILE% it changed my error message to %USERPROFILE%\My Doucments.

I tried to install a program but no dice.

So as of now:

Shell Folders\Personal reads "C:\My Documents"

User Shell Folders\Personal reads %SystermDrive%\My Documents\

I still have not run SFC. Should I?

Ken

Guest Nellie2

In the abscense of SpikeyChris... (there is a Liverpool/Everton football match on this afternoon so he is probably watching that :) )

I would say that if you haven't run SFC then it wouldn't hurt to do so.

Guest Nellie2

Just had a thought.... if you haven't done it before you might not know how to do it. Start, run ... then in the run command box you type SFC'space'/SCANNOW

Please note the word space isn't really there.... it is a space!!!

Here is a useful link with all the SFC run commands

SFC techy link

Nellie2: Thanks for the second post. I had gone to Windows Help to see how to run it and as ususal, it was vague and incomplete.

I did run it; it asked for my original CD which I inserted, and it ran and did not report anything so I guess either it did not find any errors or if it did it fixed them without telling me.

I rebooted and tried to install but once again got the same error message, that it could not find %SystemDrive%|My Documents\.

Regarding the football match: Who should I be cheering for???

A question I posed earlier: If "User Shell folder\personal reads

"%SstemDrive"\My Documents" and My Documents are really at "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents", shouldn't I change this registry entry to the correct path??

(What time is it there right now?)

Ken

Guest Nellie2

I will leave the really hard technical stuff to Spikeychris

The time is 16:12 right now and as far as the football match goes well it depends which pub you are sitting in.

If you are in a pub full of Everton supporters then its Everton, if the pub is full of Liverpool supporters then its Liverpool!!!

They are both based in the city of Liverpool so you can imagine the rivalry!! This is soccer we are talking about by the way.

Guest spikeychris

LIVERPOOL and EVERTON hah......Blackburn Rovers if you please NeL!!!!!

Kenk quote> "%SstemDrive"\My Documents" and My Documents are really at "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents", shouldn't I change this registry entry to the correct path?? have you not already done that?

Guest spikeychris

Ken, I'm slowly but surely getting lost with this one...

Can you say what is in the following key >>>

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellFolders under personal? and do you have a user name like this "C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents"

If all this fails then why not use the repair option from the Win2K CD. Boot from it and select 'R' for repair.

Chris

PS keep going :D

Chris

OK, then Blackburn Rovers it is! I did know you were speaking about soccer. I have a great time with some of my friends here re: soccer vs. our "football". There must be more to soccer than I grasp as we don't seem to get as "psyched" as soccer fans do.

Anyway,

On Aug 28 8:44 when I responded to the four (4) suggestions that you made and asked if I should change the "shell folders\personal" to the actual path, you suggested in your 8-29 11:21 am post that I leave it as it was for now. So I did.

Right now:

Shell Folders\Personal reads "C:\My Documents"

User Shell Folders\Personal reads %SystermDrive%\My Documents\

When I boot up the log on screen just refers to me as Administrator.

Right now the true location of the My Documents shortcut on my desktop is

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents"

Ken

Nel: Just out of curiosity, to the left of my posts it said "Windows 3.1" and now Windows 95. Then down below it it says "Warn: (0%). What do these mean? I hope that the Windows 3.1 or 95 doesn't indicate my OS as I use WK2 and listed that under "other" since it was not offered as an OS choice when I filled out my profile.

Ken