Unable to connect to other computer

Duc

Hello. This issue has been going on for awhile and I haven't bother to look into it until now. My problem is that I cannot connect to my second computer. I get an error message that goes like "Windows connect find \\192.168.1.1. Check the spelling and try again...." I can connect from my other computer, however.

This is what I have.

Desktop: Windows XP3

Laptop: Win Vista Home Prem (connected wirelessly)

Linksys wireless router

I can connect from my laptop to my desktop but from my desktop, I cannot.

I can ping my local ip.

Both workgroup name are the same.

No external firewall and I have disabled windows firewall on desktop.

I have avast anti virus and have also disable that to test.

I know this is a broad question and I have tried whatever solutions I could find on the net but failed to resolve it. Hopefully, you can help. Thank you.

Are you only using Windows Firewall as your primary firewall? If so, are you able to check that there has not been anything go wrong with it and is now disallowing you access to your laptop?

On both machines are you able to ping the other; one by IP and one by computer name?

I think, if one or both fail to ping then this could be a firewall configuration issue.

Not sure what happened now but when I checked both computers, I am unable to connect to anyone of them. No settings were changed.

I am not using any other firewall other than windows. How can I check if my firewall is not allowing any network connection?

I am only able to ping via ip address and not by computer names.