Windows Defender

andsome

I have criticised this program in the past, but since installing Windows 7 I have been trying it out, as before it has never found anything. I like to scan occasionally with Windows one care live safety scanner, and have always found this to be a good program. This morning it would not start, and I received an error code together with instructions to visit the forums. There were several posts on the forums all concerning the same error code. The answers by several people believe it or not were to download Malware bytes and SUPERANTISPYWARE. Remember that this was a Windows Defender forum. SUPERANTISPYWARE found 24 tracking cookies and quarantined them. The result is that Windows one care is now happily running a scan. I can only repeat my past impressions about Windows defender, in that it is a load of crap. :D

It is all too easy to get paranoid about malware - especially harmless tracking cookies.

Both our computers use Windows 7 and we rely on just Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials - plus the router hardware firewall of course.

The point I was making was that one of tracking cookies was stopping Windows live care scanner from running, so tracking cookies may not always be harmless. :D

How can a cookie stopping a program from running...?

I don't know enough about computers to answer that on, maybe there was something embedded into it. All that I know is that I tried several times to run the program, even after a re-boot, and it still would not run. But after running SUPERAntiSpyware, the program ran perfectly :D