Updating BIOS with .exe using Linux?

Hb_Kai

Basically, I found out some of my battery problems on my Toshiba Satellite L30-101 (Henry) is due to a BIOS problem and there is a fix for it in the next BIOS update which is Phoenix v.3.10 but the problem is, I don't have Windows on any of my machines anymore and Toshiba, even though searching for an OS-independent updater, only support an update with an .exe file.

Also, I think the new version has USB-boot support.

Obviously, I'm not going try running the binary with Wine because I don't think Wine supports that type of system handling but I was wondering if anybody else knows of a good way to do this?

I've also heard of BartPE - it creates a bootable Windows live CD using the Windows data and I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 disc somewhere but having not used it before, I don't know much about it.

I would ask on the BartPE forum too but obviously, if I ask there, people will only give me praises to the software and not much good criticism that I can rely on.

Does anybody here know of a good way to get this update?

Thanks.

Have you tried forcing it to read the flash chip.

If you know which flash chip you have, and if this version of flashrom

supports a similar flash chip, you can try to force read your chip. Run:

flashrom -f -r -c similar_supported_flash_chip filename.

I have only used Flashrom once and it was on a desktop not a laptop, so it may be something to do with the way Toshiba lock down there BIOS.

I don't know what chipset I'm using.

I asked on the IRC channel about this anyway and they said to send an email to [email protected] with some terminal commands and a link to the newest version and they will notify me when a patch comes available so I'll wait for that to happen.

But if it takes too long or cannot be done or something I may see if Coreboot can be put on my laptop.

Thanks for your help. :)