Broadband connection wants to Dial?

twisties

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here.

As the title suggests, I have a broadband connection that, for the most part, works fine. However, when i try to access some sites it wants to dial-up. When i cancel this dial up process or even let it keep trying the end result is the same, nothing, I cannot access the site at all. It also happens when downloading components through an executable or launcher, some are fine and work without a hiccup, but some just bomb out. The main culprit is downloading from the microsoft servers, or viewing the website. I recently tried installing .NET framework 3.5sp1 and it wants me to dial up, so, no cigar. :angry:

I am running Vista 32bit Home Premium, it has been doing this for a while now, but I've had enough. We have 3 pc's in the house and mine isn't the only one with the dial-up problem. mine and another of the PC's cannot connect to MSN messenger either, the same problem. The other pc is running XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Open Internet Connections from Control Panel and make sure that Dial-up is not set as the default connection and that LAN/High Speed Internet is the default . If this doesn't solve the issue, try disabling Dial-up connection completely.

Also, if you using a 3rd party firewall this may be the problem if you installed the router after the firewall because it may treat the router as an attempted intrusion. To test this, uninstall the firewall, revert to the Windows firewall and see if the problem persists. Then try reinstalling the 3rd party firewall.

Finally, do you use a download accelerator? Some of these are highly dubious and have built in trojans which can take over several aspects of your computer. If you use one do a search on the name plus the word security to see what others say about it.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

First you should check your Internet Options for Internet Explorer. Within IE go to Tools and then Options. Or you can go to Control Panel and then double click on Internet Options. From there go to the Connections tab and remove any dialup connections that you are not using. If you need to keep your dialup connections then click on Never dial a connection and click Ok. You may also want to check your LAN Settings for any additional configuration.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

When connecting your computer to the internet, you generally have a choice between narrowband internet access (dialup) and broadband high speed access. To some extent your choice is limited by where you live and who provides your main telephone line.

If your telephone line is provided by a Cable company, then you are generally restricted to their broadband packages, whereas if your telephone line is provided by (British Telecom), then you have access to a wide range of ADSL Broadband suppliers, which can often provide cheaper access due to the increased competition.

Many companies offer package deals, such as digital television, broadband and telephone services all from one provider (such as the packages offered by BSkyB) but it is often worth considering the levels of customer service and other issues, such as the speed of services provided.

When connecting your computer to the internet, you generally have a choice between narrowband internet access (dialup) and broadband high speed access. To some extent your choice is limited by where you live and who provides your main telephone line.

If your telephone line is provided by a Cable company, then you are generally restricted to their broadband packages, whereas if your telephone line is provided by (British Telecom), then you have access to a wide range of ADSL Broadband suppliers, which can often provide cheaper access due to the increased competition.

Many companies offer package deals, such as digital television, broadband and telephone services all from one provider (such as the packages offered by BSkyB) but it is often worth considering the levels of customer service and other issues, such as the speed of services provided.

Ah! that explains it.

• 2 weeks later...

You may run into an instance where you use Internet Explorer and a broadband connection such as DSL or Cable and it tries to dial a dialup connection every time you open IE. This is most likely caused by an existing dialup connection that you may or may not be using anymore. There are a couple of things you can try to fix this issue.

First you should check your Internet Options for Internet Explorer. Within IE go to Tools and then Options. Or you can go to Control Panel and then double click on Internet Options. From there go to the Connections tab and remove any dialup connections that you are not using. If you need to keep your dialup connections then click on Never dial a connection and click Ok. You may also want to check your LAN Settings for any additional configuration.

The next method involves checking your dialup settings under your network configuration. Right click on My Network Places and select Properties. Or go to Start, Settings and Network Connections.

Click on the Advanced menu and then Dial-up Preferences. you can either uncheck the My Location box or check the Disable autodial while I am logged in box. Un-checking the Always ask me before autodialing my help as well. Click Ok to finish and try opening Internet Explorer again.