usb adapter troubles

Admin

Please help, anyone! I'm going bananas trying to figure this stuff out.

On two computers, with different wireless chipsets but I'll settle for a solution and any insight regarding my desktop.

Here's the problem with the desktop: a Wireless USB Adapter, Belkin F5D7050 version 4000 (ver. 4) and I have installed the drivers. It shows up in Device Manager. It works, I can connect at 11 Mbps. I should be able to connect at 54 mbps, right? That's what I'd like to find out and if I can, how? I am currently using the Windows utility to connect. The Belkin one is not working right now and I thought I might as well use the Windows utility until I've tried everything.

My router is a Linksys WRT4GL model (forget which version) as it's based on the WRT4G v.4 router (I think). I can access the router if I'm using wired or if I have the wireless setting in the router set to 'Mixed' in the Wireless Network Mode. But, the usb adapter will only set to 11 Mbps. This adapter should be able to go to 54 though as I've seen it do so in the past. What is wrong?!? Help?!?

This is the adapter:
/>http://www.belkin.com/ca/support/article/?lid=enc&pid=F5D7050&aid=13480&scid=0

I'm feeling clueless here and I'm basically throwing up my arms not knowing what to try or do next. I was hoping someone would be interested enough in helping or suggesting something. I suck at wireless but I'm trying to learn more. I forgot what I did before when I was able to get 54 Mbps but that was when I HAD to use wireless. I've been using a wired connection recently but right now, it would really help if I could get a wireless connection established.

Anyone? :-/

P.S. OS is XP, SP3

Have you tried the wireless setting as "G-Only" rather than "Mixed" ?

If it is only 11 Mbps it is working in "B" mode

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I know 11 Mbps is 'B' mode. I tried setting the wireless settings in the router as 'G-Only.' But, that resulted in not being able to connect at all. I couldn't access the router either to change it back as the connection was gone. I had to plug in the ethernet cable to get wired so I could set it back. Luckily, I still have the option of a wired connection at this time.

I thought maybe the USB port the adapter is in was not USB 2.0 but aren't all modern motherboards providing USB 2.0? I could try other ports, I guess? Any other ideas?

Hi there.

Congratulations on getting the Belkin F5D7050 to work at all. I never could. :(

I was given one of these and a Netgear WG602 V2 Access Point.

The reviews for the F5D7050 are less than complimentary and many people seem to have problems with it.

I searched the internet for a clue as to why it wouldn't work properly (Reasons different to yours I'll admit) and had no luck.

I am not being over pessimistic, but from all that I was able to read at the time this thing was as unpredictable and tetchy as a Rotweiller dog on a hot summer day.

Many people use it successfully, so I am not telling you to give up. Just offering an opinion.

It sounds as though your particular problem is driver related, - and that can be a bit of a nightmare with this thing. - Or you may hit on the right combination straight off.

I use the mount as a floating USB connection, and the WG602 works just fine. The F5D7050 is in a junk draw somewhere. (Lost patience with it.001greenman.gif)

These links may be of help to you.

/>http://www.apfrod.com/works/2005/11/22/belkin_f5d7050_54g_usb_wireless_network

/>http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/wireless-networking/m/3094767/

John.