Malware Removal Problems

andreasr2d2

Hello everyone. Yesterday, I was on my computer and it suddenly shutdown. When I powered it back on, it show a window with the Worm.Win32.Netsky. The background is blue and there is a X in a red circle in the notifications area. There are no popups or other programs installed due to this but my entire system is slow and Internet Explorer doesn't work. Norton 2010 is continuously saying that it is blocking and removing Trojans and executables, but nothing closes the red icon. When I reboot the same thing happens - Norton blocks the same things all over again. I have tried booting into Safe Mode and running a Full System Scan, but it doesn't do anything differently. The virus is still there. I was able to temporarily remove the red X by running an MS-DOS application as provided by this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010. I then ran a full system scan with MalwareBytes. It found 68 infections and removed most of them. It then told me that the rest of the infections (registry keys+some files) would be removed by rebooting. So, I rebooted and everything seemed fine. I then went to Norton to run a full system scan and when I did that Norton became blocking attacks again and the background turned blue. The red X also appeared. I am now running another full system scan with MalwareBytes and so far it has found 20 infections. Do you recommend installing avant! Internet Security (I have a license from an old PC, uninstalling Norton, doing full system scans with both MalwareBytes and avant! and then reinstalling Norton? I would appreciate any suggestions. Since I recently using System Recovery discs to reinstall the OS, if things did not work out, could I just do a fresh install? Thank for your help.

P.S. - Should I also try scanning with something such as HouseCall by TrendMicro: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/index.html

Thank you for your help in advance.

A look on Google will give you a number of remedies for this worm. Be sure you click on something reliable (and doesn't ask you for money) before going ahead with removal.

/>http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&q=Worm.Win32.Netsky&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_en-GBGB341GB341&ie=UTF-8

A clean re-install would be the better option, though.

To me this lot proves what load of rubbish Norton is. I would do as pops suggests and format and reinstall the operating system. I would then either go for one of the better free security suites, or better still Nod 32 version 4 security suite. Nod stopped and quarantined that very worm. It told me that it had done so, and I was then able to delete it. I will NEVER EVER again let Norton anywhere near to my computer.cool.gif