Trend Micro HouseCall 64 bit Problem

AlanHo

I am running my Win 7 64 bit computer protected only by the Windows Firewall, M$ security Essentials and the router hardware firewall.

I know of no problems but in another thread today catgate recommended the OP to try Trend Micro Housecall.

I decided to give it a whirl to double check my system is clean. However - when I tried to download and run the 64 bit version of HouseCall it refused to function and threw up an error message

I tried a couple of times - but no joy.

I then tried the 32 bit download and it worked fine - and confirmed that my machine was clean.

Anyone else with a 64 bit OS had similar problems....?

I have just tried it on the wifes computer which has the 64bit Home premium W7 installed.

It has ZA firewall and AVG antivirus and she uses the Opera browser.

I have just run the 64 bit version with no problems, and it was very fast.

I just re-booted the computer and tried the 64 bit download again - and it worked without a problem this time. Strange!!!

The quick scan took 5 minutes 20 seconds - but seemed to concentrate on the Windows folder.

I just started it again and in "Settings" selected the C: (OS & Programs) and D: (Documents & Data) drives.

Both are 500 GB capacity, C: has 49 GB used and D: has 104 GB used.

It took 72 minutes to scan the C: drive and then started to scan the D: drive. However - a problem occurred 13 minutes after it started to scan the D: drive. M$ Security Essentials threw up an alarm indicating a trojan on the C: drive in a Temp\HouseCall folder - see screen shot below - and 4 minutes later this was automatically cleaned which caused Housecall to stop scanning. It would appear - to the untrained eye - that M$ Security Essentials suddenly decided that the HouseCall file was malware and deleted it. Note that HouseCall had by that time scanned the C: drive and reported that it was clean.