New Eu Constitution

Guest LB

The Prime Minister, Tony Blair, is confident that the UK will negotiate a new Constitutional Treaty that will be "good for Britain, and good for Europe".

An Intergovernmental Conference is to take place between all 25 member states to discuss and agree a new constitution for the EU. The Government set out its position on the new European Constitution in a White Paper published this morning.

The draft treaty, agreed in June, will provide the basis for discussions. It aims to bring the EU's existing treaties together in a single text and provide for more accountable institutions.

Writing in the foreword, the Prime Minister said that this is a time of real significance for the European Union and for Britain.

"Britain has been a champion of EU enlargement for many years," he said.

"We wholeheartedly welcome it. But modernisation of Europe's decision-making structures is essential to make it a success."

He said the discussions would not end in a "federal superstate". He stressed that the UK would only accept a final text where issues such as tax, defence and foreign policy remain with the nation State.

"I look forward to discussing these issues with our European partners. I am confident that we will negotiate a new Constitutional Treaty that will promote the national, and the patriotic, interest. Like next year's enlargement of the Union, that will be good for Britain, and good for Europe."

so, do you trust them with britains future?

andsomes going to need medication when he reads this post .....arf arf

I'm past the point of caring as to whatever crap pours out of his orifice ....

Incidentally the press release for tomorrows papers handed out by number 10 for printing in tomorrows papers ,does not match what he actually said in the speech .

So the headlines are wrong.... according to Paxo on newsnight

As far as I'm concerned, it's all been said many many time before. Europe is already a federal state, and the powers that be, want to make it even larger. One day we will all be very very sorry. That's all that's going to pour out of my orifice, the subject is a dead duck. The politicians want us deeper in, and no amount of lip service will change things.