Vista: after a while deleting a file doesn't go to recycle bin

When I delete a file (without holding down shift etc) it normally, and rightly, goes to the recycle bin. But after a while of deleting files (am currently tidying up my hard drive) the Send to Recycle bin is not given in the confirm delete warning window, it just says Do I want to permanently delete the file. If I reboot, it again lets me send files to the recycle bin, but again only for a while.

Basically I don't know why this functionality suddenly disappears.

My recylce bin is virtually empty and it can still happen. (recyle bin is set to a max size of 9547 MB)

By the way, I mean while deleting any file of many different formats and size.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

The message you are getting is usually associated with "This file is too big for the recycle bin. Do you want to permanently delete it?" or words to that effect.

Does this apply in your case? Note the file does not necessarily need to be the capacity of the bin for this message to be given.

The message you are getting is usually associated with "This file is too big for the recycle bin. Do you want to permanently delete it?" or words to that effect.

Does this apply in your case? Note the file does not necessarily need to be the capacity of the bin for this message to be given.

Thanks for the reply. No, the message doesn't say anything about the file being too big for the recycle bin. The message I get is "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file" just as you would if you held down Shift when choosing delete from the right click context menu (although I am not actually holding down Shift). I just tried it again on a really small text file and it still creates that message.

Update: apologies, I think it is related to the fact that the drive I'm deleting the files from is a virtual drive, in fact a McAfee Vault which is part of their Anti-Theft software. I'll fire off an email to McAfee.

Thanks pops for your post.