Cannot open WIM file?

Lani

I have a major problem. I reinstalled the OS (WINDOWS 7) on my ASUS G72GX a couple of days ago. There was nothing wrong with my system except that i wanted a fresh install. I am using the recovery disk that came with the system and i keep getting the same problem "CANNOT OPEN WIM FILE" with a big red ERROR message across the screen. I thought it could be the hard disk but i already tried another WINDOWS 7 DVD and it installed ok. unfortunately that was a win 32 version and i need win 64. anyway i suspect it could be because i am using an external DVD writer cos the one on the system is Kaput. can anyone help please. I'm getting desperate here.

Have you deleted any hidden partitions on the hard drive?

Very often recovery disks do not contain the operating system, merely software to point you in the right direction, that is to open and allow access to the hidden partition which does contain the operating system as a wim file (Window IMage file).

I am also dubious about using an external DVD drive to install. Does the motherboard have legacy drivers to permit this?

I feel also that you should repair/replace the DVD drive otherwise it is not really worth your while doing this work.

Is it only that message "CANNOT OPEN WIM FILE" - does it not point to a specific file?

If it does point to a file, is it one on the install disk? In that case, your install disk may be corrupted. Ask your computer manufacturer for a replacement disk.

It does not point to any specific file. that is all it says. of course my previous windows installation has been wiped clean so i get a BOOTMGR missing message. i installed Ubuntu and realised that the windows installation had actually copied some files to the hard drive. NOTE: this is not the first time i am using the recovery disk. I tried it once before and it worked so i don''t understand why this is happening.

Have you deleted any hidden partitions on the hard drive?

Very often recovery disks do not contain the operating system, merely software to point you in the right direction, that is to open and allow access to the hidden partition which does contain the operating system as a wim file (Window IMage file).

I am also dubious about using an external DVD drive to install. Does the motherboard have legacy drivers to permit this?

I feel also that you should repair/replace the DVD drive otherwise it is not really worth your while doing this work.

hello and thanks for your response. replacing or repairing is not an option because there is nowhere here where that can be done. i am dubious about the external as well but like i said earlier i did a complete installation of windows 7 that i got from a friend except it was win 32. about the hidden partition it is still there, the problem with that is that there are two hard disks on my system and that hidden partition is not on the hard disk i am installing on. it's a long story where when i tried reinstalling the OS some time back it defaulted to the second hard disk instead of the first. i can't install on the first anymore cos of all the data i have there. the installation will wipe that hdd clean. what do i do?

There was nothing wrong with my system except that i wanted a fresh install

Whoa ! - Bummer.

First step would be to get a new drive for that 'puter. The read speed from External Drive may not suit that particular DVD that you are using.(Unless of course it uses SATA and not USB)

You could try duplicating that install/recovery disk using something like *Unstoppable Copier*

I bet though like pops has said, that recovery disk just accesses a recovery partition, and in your fiddlin' about with the thing you have corrupted the recovery partition.

I bet you will be looking at implementing "Disk Imaging" after this bad experience eh ?

John.

Okay, so here we go. :)

One of the first things you may be looking for in the future is the drivers for your 'puter (Cos I doubt you've backed 'em up. :blink: )

You can find them, and the manual **Here**

It may be neccessary for you to copy the recovery partition.

If it's hidden you may need to unhide it (Google for how to do that)

Next step is to get all of the partitions you had when you first got the thing, into their original order. (Wherever the recovery partition was in relation to the operating system. That's where it's got to go now. Once you have done all of that it may just set back to default (Factory settings)

If it doesn't, and the data on the recovery partition is corrupted, start thinking about buying Windows 7 64 bit as a new purchase, and reloading the whole thing.

Here are some pages from the original manual in relation to the recovery partition.

ASUSG72GX1.jpg

ASUSG72GX2.jpg

ASUSG72GX3.jpg

• 7 months later...