3 Hard-drives

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Ok....so tonight I ordered my new 60GB HD from Ebuyer.Not large by todays standards but I can't wait!

Anyhoo it got me thinking of the first HD I ever bought 4 years ago...It was a 6.4 GB monster for the princely sum of £110 and I recall a jealous mate of mine stating quite catagorically "You'll never fill it up!".

My how wrong he was.Nowadays you could fill that with XP Pro and 3 games!!!!!

This prompted me to dig out my 1990-91 copy of the Tandy catalogue.I browsed to page 134 and WOW!!!

tandy2.jpg

Full page here 244Kb.

I then started doing some (very poor) maths.

To install a 344Mb SCSI HD in 1990,including the purchase of a SCSI controller,comes to £3045.20!!!!!

My 60GB HD is costing me £65 despite the fact it is approximately 175X the capacity!!

The Tandy HD works out at roughly £8 per meg,whereas my Maxtor is £0.0010833 per meg :o

Pretty amazing really considering that when I remembered my 6.4 Gb drive @£110,I thought it expensive.

Anyway I just thought I'd share this useless (and probably very badly miscalculated) piece of information with you all. :D

Cheers.

Shirl.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Funnily enough in the same catalogue one could buy an Atari 520ST with software etc for a mere £399.99 or a Spectrump +2 "James Bond Pack" (One for IP!) for £159.99 and that included a light gun and an audio message from "Q"!!!!!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
I think my parents paid £350 for my Amiga 1200 about then.

Definitely the better buy ;)

I hated the Atari ST but the Amiga isn't in this issue unfortunately :(

Guest PC Eejit

I felt like a king when I fitted it :D

First thing I stuck on it was Monkey Island 2 - that came on four floppies so the disk swapping was a thing of the past.

Sigh.....happy days :)

:ph34r:

I felt like a king when I fitted it  :D

First thing I stuck on it was Monkey Island 2 - that came on four floppies so the disk swapping was a thing of the past.

Sigh.....happy days :)

I did have a second floppy drive to limit floppy swapping :D :D

Did you have any of the following.... Elite 2 Frontier, Oscar, Zool? quality games ;)

Guest PC Eejit

Didn't have Elite 2 - too "Space" for me

Had Oscar on the CD32 (!) and Zool 1 & 2. I think Zool 2 had an AGA Version - all that was different though was fancier backgrounds.

Zool 1 may have had the same - can't remember :blink:

Guest PC Eejit

I do yes!

My favourite EVER game though - and the one I've played the most in my life - was Kick Off 2 on the Amiga.

Never understood how Sensible Soccer become so popular. Well actually I do, Amiga Power were right up their backsides so it just get free publicity for years :D

Guest PC Eejit

You could either "get" Kick Off 2 or you couldn't. By that I mean, to some it was like pinball - unplayable to them really.

But once everything clicked, it was the greatest football game ever. As sad as I am, me and a mate used to regularly play 40 minute matches - often 90 minutes matches too.

Utterly brilliant! The recent Kick Off 2002 isn't a patch on it though :(

My Acorn A3000 cost me £1000 back in 1989.

I paid £125 for a 1 MB memory upgrade to make the comp 2 MB in total.

I then spent £325 (ish) for a Watford 30MB HDD - Which broke after 1 year ! ! !

All together I spent over £2000 on the computer and software etc. I sold it all for £100 in 1996 (ish)... :lol:

I wonder what we will be looking back from in another 14 years??? :) Bio-Chips? GigaFlop Drives? Linux OS !!!! :lol:

Guest The Ghost of Inept Pig

You're all utter utter utter utter fools (in a nice caring way, of course)

Sensible World of Soccer ruled all and was almost the best game on the Amiga, but, of course, the best game on the Amiga was Speedball 2... oooh the days I wasted on that game...

... and the James Bond pack sounded very cool... wonder if I could find it on e-bay...

Guest PC Eejit

Nah.....SWOS was a bug ridden monstrosity. Always crashed on me. Ended up getting a update disc sent out.

The actual footy action wasn't the best either.....you could charge down the wing with the ball, cut inside to pass, and you'd find the ball would still be hurtling out for a goal kick :blink:

Elite was the 'only game to have' in the 80's in my humble opinion. It was a breakthrough and a masterpiece and was exclusively available on the Acorn machines (Electron and BBC Micro)....(for a few years anyway)...The day that Spectrum and Commodore got a version it's appeal fell - and so did Acorn funnily enough ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest The Ghost of Inept Pig

But but but BUT...

It was good, honest....

Anyhow... I'm sure this was discussed many times in Amiga Power... let's just agree that I'm right?

Okay? Good...

:D