Disable Pointing stick for All Users

N.T.Butler

Hi all.

I need to figure out if it is possible, either through a registry setting or other means, to disable the pointing stick on a laptop by default for all users.

We have about 50 laptops, relevant hardware/software being:

- DELL E5500 (some E5400)

- Windows XP (going to Windows 7 soon, so perhaps take into account both)

- ALPS pointing stick device.

- Latest alps driver

I have noticed that in the registry, the key HKU\....\Software\Alps\SelectDevice\SelectDevice was originally set to 0x3f and changed to 0x31 when I set the options through the mouse properties. I have tried searching for all occurrences of this key in the registry and changing it where appropriate and rebooting the machine, which does indeed disable the pointing stick and buttons, but once a new user logs in, it is enabled again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nathan

Hi all.

I need to figure out if it is possible, either through a registry setting or other means, to disable the pointing stick on a laptop by default for all users.

We have about 50 laptops, relevant hardware/software being:

- DELL E5500 (some E5400)

- Windows XP (going to Windows 7 soon, so perhaps take into account both)

- ALPS pointing stick device.

- Latest alps driver

I have noticed that in the registry, the key HKU\....\Software\Alps\SelectDevice\SelectDevice was originally set to 0x3f and changed to 0x31 when I set the options through the mouse properties. I have tried searching for all occurrences of this key in the registry and changing it where appropriate and rebooting the machine, which does indeed disable the pointing stick and buttons, but once a new user logs in, it is enabled again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nathan

Hi,Nathan.

I take it that you have it all sorted then...?

If so,could you please let us know what worked for you in case others may find the info helpful?

:unsure:

Can you not just disable the device driver?

Have you tried:--->Control Panel>Mouse>Dell Touchpad>Device Select>Pointing Stick Disable>Apply

Hi there.

Yes, I can do that, but the problem is that we are a school, which means each laptop may have over 100 different users, and we can't really say to the school "You need to do this, then go here and click this... on every laptop you log into". Because it's not a 1-to-1 school yet we really need to find a way to have this set by default for all users. As I mentioned, I can try through the registry settings I have found, but when a user logs it loads the settings for that particular user, which then overrides whatever i have set in the registry.

As of yet I still have not managed to set this for all users without them having to do it themselves, but at least they can log in without the mouse ramming itself into the corner of the screen (damaged pointing stick, hence this post).

...we really need to find a way to have this set by default for all users. As I mentioned, I can try through the registry settings I have found, but when a user logs it loads the settings for that particular user, which then overrides whatever i have set in the registry.

As of yet I still have not managed to set this for all users....

You can usually enforce settings through Group Policy Editor in XP.I will direct you to this link--->http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=17680&view=findpost&p=144027

Or if you need further clarification:--->http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307882

Please read all content.I am confident you will find appropriate material for your particular needs.

If you upgrade to Windows 7,I believe there are different ways to configure these settings-depending on the version.(We shall worry about that when/If we get to that bridge B) ).

Keep us updated,please. :)

• 2 years later...

This posting is ancient but I can't stand coming across a post where the orginal poster just disappears and doesn't provide an update.

For those who expierence a simliar issue the following worked for me for fixing for multiple machines.

Change HK Local Machine\Software\Alps\Apoint\SelectDevice\SelectDevice: 0x0000003F

to

HK Local Machine\Software\Alps\Apoint\SelectDevice\SelectDevice: 0x00000031

Delete any existing local profiles. Any new profiles had the stick pointer disabled by default.