csrss.exe very strange problem

captnibm

Hello,

I am a French Telecomunications Engineer and I just reinstalled my personnal system with Windows 7 Pro and I found a really really strange problem.

My configuration is :

Asus P5K + Q9550

4Go GSkill 6400

Radeon HD 5850 Catalyst 10.8

Samsung Spinpoint F1

Windows 7 Pro

When I move the cursor of the mouse in the bottom/right corner of any of my screens, the process "csrss.exe" instantly use 100% of one of the core from the CPU.

I realised it while playing to an old video game like SimCity when you have to scroll with the mouse on the edge of the screen. And everytime, I was scrolling in this corner, the game started to freeze.

Then I verified that it was happening during a full screen game or over a windowed progam or just on the desktop.

The "zone" where it happens is 1cm * 1cm, exactly in the bottom/right corner and only this corner

The "csrss.exe" process use 100% of one core, only when the mouse move, and the cursor disapear. If I stop moving in the "zone", the cursor reappear and the "csrss.exe" process go back to 0%.

I stopped all my programs one by one, but the problemm was still here.

Then I reboot in safe mode and the problem wasn't here anymore.

I think this is a driver issue, but I have updated all my drivers and checked everything in the device manager and all is fine.

I enclosed a screenshot with ProcessXP.

bugcoindroit.jpg

If you can help me, it would be more than great !

Thank you,

In addition to csrss.exe being a Windows file there is also malware that apparently masquerades under the same designation.

I suggest as a first approach that you do some thorough anti-malware scans.

Thanks for your answer, I have AVG which is active since I installed Windows but I will start a scan tonight.

I just tried something, I am using Dual Screen and instead of an extended desktop, I changed it to duplicate desktop so the same thing shows on my two screens. And in this configuration, there is no bug which is the same configuration as safe mode.

So maybe it is linked with dual screen and extended desktop. I'll keep you updated after the scan.

Thanks again, this is really an unusual issue !!

Hi there, I am encountering the same problem!

My configuration is :

Asus P7P55D

Intel i5 750

4GB Ram (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Dual Channel)

Radeon HD 5770 Catalyst 10.8

Dual Monitors (1920x1080 and 1280x1024)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I believe the problem is only with more than 1 monitor as you say. When I disable my secondary monitor I no longer have the problem. It isn't so bad when just on the desktop, but the problem with the lower right corner is still there when I play Starcraft 2. When I try to scroll to the bottom right my cursor becomes very jumpy which causes inconsistent scrolling!

There are more people with the same problem, there is a thread over on the amd forums which I have also posted in. Link: Click!

I only got windows 7 yesterday along with a new hard drive. I have very few programs installed and haven't done much surfing on the web - so i doubt the problem is malware. I have AVG installed and have ran scans just to make sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, for now I have to disable my second monitor when I want to play games. This isn't the end of the world, but is still an inconvenience I would like to find a way around!

Dual Boot 2 seperate versions of Windows 7 on a single HDD.

In this way you will have a partition with "7" that is "Normal" (And will probably give no problems, - ever.)

And a partition with "7" for all the games, and other badly written software which will allow you to experiment and see the full effects of badly written software on a perfectly good operating system.

Use disk imaging software to "Image" the clean install. Make an image and then install this to the second partition.

Thereafter, Image both partitions on a regular basis to stay ahead of the game of - "How can I wreck my operating system by installing crap software ?" :)

John.