Adding a switch to my network

Ghostnotes1970

Here is my setup,

I have the 310 on my second floor. It supports a wireless desktop 2 wireless laptops and a samsung BD player which is downstairs. Also downstairs is an xbox 360 and a directv receiver. The BD player connects wirelessly. My xbox and directv Are hard wired back up to my router with an Ethernet electric wall plug but i only have one so i have to switch it back and forth.

I also have a switch and my question is can i use the switch downstairs for my xbox and directv receiver along with the electric wall plug to get it back up to my router??

Thanks.

I also have a switch and my question is can I use the switch downstairs for my XBox and direct T.V receiver along with the electric wall plug to get it back up to my router??

Yeah ! Go for it. Experimentantion is brilliant, and sometimes the best way to learn. If I was at your place now, wires and switches would be red hot an'rippin' until I found a way to get it all goin'.

Usually once I start, two blocks of people are without electricity for an hour or two. - But what the heck ? :)

There is no greater satisfaction than having worked some of these problems out.

John.

I would be doing that now but last night i decided to swap out my 46" 1080p LCD in my bedroom with my 62" 1080i DLP in my livingroom. I left the 62" on the floor and told wifeee i would take it upstairs today when i got home fishing DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!! But guess what, i came home today the tv is out of the living room,upstairs with a broken mirror and a terribly scratched inner screen....of corse it's my fault though.

Ok sorry back to the problem at hand.

The switch has 24 ports but none of them have a dedicated internet port. So i picked any port to plug, for the wall plug that uses my electrical wiring. Saw them start communicating then hooked up the xbox and dvr, no go.I have never really worked with switches, so does my router actually see the switch or are there any settings i need to change in my router??

with a broken mirror and a terribly scratched inner screen

Leave things alone for a day or two. You are in a period of great disaster.

Start again when Saturn is in alignment with Uranus.

I have never really worked with switches

Could be a time to find a "friend" with the expertise required, or hand over to a professional.

Almost impossible to diagnose by "Remote" (On the forum here.) The whole thing can quickly run into a "Chinese whisper" and you ending up in a far worse state than you are now.

John.

What brand switch is it that you are trying to use?

depending on brand and age of the switch there are a few things to look for.

In order to connect to another switch, or router, etc, you need to connect it to an uplink port.

Newer devices auto sense what type of device it is, so it will switch the port to an uplink port without any user intervention.

Some have a dedicated uplink port, and some have a button that will change a regular port into an uplink port, the button is usually next to the port that it will change, or is marked some how.

Also, if it is a cisco switch, it may have some sort of configuration on it already that is preventing the ports your using to work together, like VLANS, or something weird like that.

What brand switch is it that you are trying to use?

depending on brand and age of the switch there are a few things to look for.

In order to connect to another switch, or router, etc, you need to connect it to an uplink port.

Newer devices auto sense what type of device it is, so it will switch the port to an uplink port without any user intervention.

Some have a dedicated uplink port, and some have a button that will change a regular port into an uplink port, the button is usually next to the port that it will change, or is marked some how.

Also, if it is a cisco switch, it may have some sort of configuration on it already that is preventing the ports your using to work together, like VLANS, or something weird like that.

It will auto sense, i found the instructions online.I even tried to set up the devices manually to no avail. One thing i did realize is on my router when i disable DHCP/reservation I can see the switch in my network map but when i re enable it, it goes away.Of course though, nothing works.Either way it still will not get through. The router is a WRT 310 Linksys, and the router is a Cisco/Linksys EF3124 switch.

Hope this helps....