Can not Access Norton or Microsoft to update

1wetvikinchk

Open Control Panel, then select Network & Internet Connections, then Network Connections.  That will show you a screen with your possible internet connections.  What do you see written against the connections (it should say something like Connected/Disconnected)?  Post a screen-shot if you know how to do that.

I have no proplem connecting to Yahoo google I dont want to connect to Face book or anything. My Newer computer wouldnt start up so I hooked up my old one ( it was about a year and a half 2 years ago) It runs windows xp. Atm it does not have Norton Virus protection on it, So when I went to update it, it wouldnt let me. So I turned to Windows defender as the next resort tried to update that turned on my firewall..couldnt access anything microsoft..not even msn messenger.I checked firewall settings to see if it was blocked. Norton has full access.Msn has access. Idk. I ran spy bot s&d.

I just reset them . I cant even get on Microsoft site to get free virus soft ware. I cant seem to update norton. So I was looking to get some kind of virus protection, when i realized I cant access either site, I am begining to think it is a virus..I tried calling microsoft the man could hardly speak english and assured me if I let him remotley assist my screen and paid him 169 dollars he could fix my problem. He said it had something to do with My Internet explorer conflicting with my microsoft, and the longer I used my computer the more damage it would do, And he assured me he was the ONLY one who could fix my computer that no one had access to microsoft material to fix it EXCEPT microsoft. :huh: I had no clue what he was talking about but he scared me lol ;)

Yes, you are quite right to be scared.  It looks like your entire system has been hijacked to prevent you getting legitimate help and your being re-directed to someone else who is trying to get money out of you.

Apart from completely re-installing Windows from scratch your only chance now is to do an on-line virus scan using a legitimate free company.   Panda is a reputable company & here is the link: Panda Scan .

Click the left option to start the free scan.  It may take 1-2 hours to complete.  Or it may be that the malware that's on your computer will prevent the connection.

If the scan completes fully, it will then give you advice about how to deal with the problem.

:blink: oops :P I still need help!@

Hi.

I take it that you do not have any syetem images to recover from?

Apart from what Dencandy has suggested,you may also try to perform an online scan with ESET Online Scanner.

I would also highly suggest that when you get this all sorted,back up your disk with images.It will save you a lot of time and frustration in the future if you happen to run into problems of any sort.It takes your machine back in time to a place before the problem(s) occured.It's a virtual time machine that can cure practically all ills.http://www.google.com/search?q=creating+disk+images+win+xp&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-Address&q=Create+A+System+Image+Windows+XP+Home&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=Create+A+System+Image+Windows+XP+Home&gs_rfai=&psj=1&fp=207a1c3c62b92b94