my internet is used without downloading anything!

Amir Tofighi

hi

i use ADSL and whenever i start to download a program or zip file from internet with my browser or IDM , after i pause the download , still IDM or the browser is downloading that zip file or program without actually downloading it since if for example i paused the download at 30%, the next time i resume, it start the download at 31% and those internet usages where virtually!

that causes my internet speed to drop after i pause the download and of course it consumes my monthly downloading limit.

this problem also occurs when IDM finishes the download of a specific file and if i have some files in my downloading queue, it starts to download something again VIRTUALLY and causes the problem i mentioned.

please help me what to do to stop internet usage when pausing the download

Hello,Amir.

The first option that comes to my mind is to use a download manager.Most that I have either used or researched has the ability to "resume" a download after a broken connection or a stopped/cancelled session.

I have been using the program Download Accelerator Plus for about a year and haven't had any problems yet.DAP user interface has a multitude of options so it may take some browsing around to familiarize yourself with the layout.If you choose this route I could offer some assistance if there should arise any confusion.This program will ask to install other programs a couple of times during istallation.I chose not to install anything other than DAPx86.It will also place itself in System Configuration tab Startup (as many other programs do) to boot with Windows.You can untick this in System Configuration and save changes to keep your OS from booting with the dead weight.

Hope this doesn't reek of an advertisement.

edit:typo

When I download from the Internet it is very rare, unknown I think, for me to pause the download. I just let the machine "do its thing".

Have I misunderstood this problem? Do you regularly pause, then resume, downloads? If so, why?

you know, the internet we use has a limit of downloading specific traffic for each month

i mean for example you can download only 10 GB for a month and after you downloaded this amount your internet access will be unavailable

but from 1am to 7am the downloaded traffic will not be considered in monthly download and it will not be counted

so i usually pause my massive downloads and resume them at night when it is free

by the way i use internet download manager(DAP) as my download manager

but the problem is that when i pause the download it continues to download virtually

i said virtually because after i resume it continues from the paused time.

DAP continues to use the internet while i have already pressed the pause button

i tested flash get, download accelerator and some other download managers but this happens again

i wish i have clarified my problem

DAP continues to use the internet while i have already pressed the pause button

You must close the downloader.Configure it to disconnect from the internet when download finishes (or when closed by you or other break in the download).As seen by the cancelled Ubuntu download,I just resume as usual.(This download downloaded for 6 hours.Had 46 hours to go at the rate it was going.:0

EDIT:Under Tools,choose Options.

i did what you said

but the problem persists

as you see in first picture i checked the box you mentioned and rectangle no.2 shoes the internet usage and no. 3 shoes that the download is not paused

but @ second picture you see although i paused the download(rectangle no.2) but the internet is still being used (rectangle no.1)

what now? :unknw:

post-18936-094049300 1288958456_thumb.jp

post-18936-087495900 1288958545_thumb.jp

My friend.You must close the download manager.Either click the red x on the DAP window,or right click on DAP system tray icon and select exit.There will be dialog asking if you want to stop all current downloads.Select yes.DAP will then disconnect and close.

Cofigure manager to close after download completes (closed).

If you just pause the download,the manager is still running.It must be closed-disconnected from the internet.If there is no connection-no traffic.

Hope this is helpful.

edit:forgot to include attachment

... i paused the download....

...after i pause the download....

...please help me what to do to stop internet usage when pausing the download....

From your question I take it that the download manager is not closed at all.Only paused.

From your screenshots I see an open download manager.Paused.If it (DAP) were closed there wouldn't be a screenshot.I do not believe you can stop internet usage while DAP is open.Being a free program,it relies on advertisements to exist.If you watch the downloader it has a bunch of flash ads at the bottom and elsewhere.

You can verify usage through Task Manager or Resource Monitor among countless other programs.

If necessary,close DAP through Task Manager.I just did and I still have the option to resume.

I'm sorry my friend.If I have missed anything forgive me.I do overlook things at times.

The only absolute way I know of to stop internet usage is to disconnect.

Do you have DAP configured to load with Windows?(Screenshot).If so it will use your bandwidth.

at my last comment , i attached two picture.

the first one which shows the taskbar is when i paused and closed the dap and the other is when i was downloading

OK

no problem

i appreciate your kindness for spending time to solve my problem

only one more question:

there is another download manager called IDM which has a good property called download queue which allows you to define a list of download and when you tell it to start that download list it starts to download the files in that list ONE BY ONE.

i mean it starts the first file and after it is downloaded the second file begins to download.

does DAP have such ability?

thanks a lot.

even if there is no DAP running still internet is being used!

Open Resource Monitor to verify what is actually using your bandwidth.

I noticed something by watching DAP activity for two minutes.

1) DAP uses bandwidth while starting.

2) If you minimize DAP to taskbar,after about 30 seconds bandwidth usage terminates and disappears from Resource Monitor.

3) It would appear that the advertisements are the culprit.I deduce this from the fluctuations in network usage while watching the flash based ads change.

However,if DAP is closed there may be some other program eating at your bandwidth.

note:1st scrnsht is of dap wndw opn.2nd scrnsht was tkn 30 sec aftr mnmzng dap wndw.

you know my friend i solved the problem by using the software "Net Limiter"

it shows all the applications that may use internet and also shows how much traffic each application is using

it also allows us to "kill connection" for each process that is using internet unwantedly.

i use it to terminate using of internet for DAP or IDM

well it is the best way i found to do what i wanted without closing the application

post-18936-042244700 1289245579_thumb.pn