Kingsoft Cloud Free Antivirus

Belatucadrus

Having removed Zillya I decided to try Kingsoft Cloud Free Antivirus next. Unlike Zillya, Kingsoft developed by a Chinese software developer based in Zhuhai, Kingsoft has been submitted to independent testers like AV comparatives and VirusBulletin with pretty good results.

Installation was simple enough up to 99% on the indicator when it hung up for no discernible reason, tried again in safe mode and this time everything was hunky dory. Connected to tinterweb thingy and it connected got a serial number and updated the virus files. Though marketed as a Cloud product this is much more conventional in design than Pandas offering and is perhaps more an AV with a significant cloud component than a pure cloud program. It comes with plenty of settings to play with and you can set a Scan scheduler and Screen saver scan in the same way as avast! Only thing I'm missing at this point is a specific e-mail scan. Scan speed seems a bit slow, particularly on Full scan, but it's got a tick box so you can select "Turn off PC when scan complete" and just let it do its thing. Initial impressions are pretty good but it's only been 24 hours so I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

After 50 days I have encountered no problems with Kingsoft. It's done nothing to cause any problems, there are no Zillya style false positives on my system, updates have run smoothly.

Kingsoft do submit their products to VirusBulletin & AV comparatives with reasonable results, not on a par with the main contenders but when they do fail it's usually pretty close and they're clearly intent on getting as much independent certification as possible which indicates their intention to compete. But testing with eicar was unsatisfactory as Kingsoft ignored it completely, not necessarily an indication of a failure as Kingsoft may simply not care to register the European eicar test file on its database.

So in conclusion it's OK, not up with avast and Antivir yet but will probably provide more than adequate protection to those of us who don't spend hours cruising the dark side of the net after pron and free music of dubious legality. On the downside its web integration appears heavily geared to IE, not so hot for Firefox users.

• 2 months later...

118 days on the laptop and it seems to be doing the job. There is however an occasional repeat bug which crops up at irregular intervals. The update procedure occasionally grinds to a halt at the 3% point when checking for updates. At this point you need to manually cancel the update then run manually. From this point it'll keep running for the next few days or weeks before it trips over its own feet again.

Not bad but not perfect, looks like time to try something else from the list.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Ran the new version for over a year and never had any problems with it. However the English language pages have all been dropped and while the 2012 version still works and accept their signature updates, it looks as if the software itself has been left behind with all new versions being Pinyin script only and I'm not adventurous enough to try it. So I'm having a go with 360 Internet Security, I'll post my impressions when it's had a few days.