Networking xpPRO and xpHOME and DSLrouter

dsuther

When all else fails, ask the experts...

This post is for Computeraid, Nellie, SpikeyChris and/or any other forum member who might be able to offer some guidance or, ideally, step-by-step directions.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400(xpHOME)hooked up to a SpeedStream 6520 ADSL Gateway, for Internet access; a Dell

Optiplex GX240(xpPRO)is plugged into that; an X-Box 360 is also on the 6520, for on-line gaming. I don't know what

the problem is, but I cannot get on the Internet from the xpPRO. I had a Dell Optiplex G1(win98)on that line, and

it was working. I printed off Computeraid's Networking Fundamentals I and II, and tried following those tips,however,they may be somewhat dated, as not all of the tabs or options discussed there are available.

Be that as it may, I read many of the posts in the "Other Windows Support" and all of "Networking Board",

and finally I was able to establish a LAN on the xpPRO. Regrettably, it still will not access the Internet:"cannot display the webpage". I have been at this for days and days. Does anyone know what to do?

THX...

dsuther

This post is for Computeraid, Nellie, SpikeyChris and/or any other forum member who might be able to offer some guidance or, ideally, step-by-step directions.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400(xpHOME)hooked up to a SpeedStream 6520 ADSL Gateway, for Internet access; a Dell

Optiplex GX240(xpPRO)is plugged into that; an X-Box 360 is also on the 6520, for on-line gaming. I don't know what

the problem is, but I cannot get on the Internet from the xpPRO. I had a Dell Optiplex G1(win98)on that line, and

it was working. I printed off Computeraid's Networking Fundamentals I and II, and tried following those tips,however,they may be somewhat dated, as not all of the tabs or options discussed there are available.

Be that as it may, I read many of the posts in the "Other Windows Support" and all of "Networking Board",

and finally I was able to establish a LAN on the xpPRO. Regrettably, it still will not access the Internet:"cannot display the webpage". I have been at this for days and days. Does anyone know what to do?

THX...

dsuther

p.s. May I add: at the present time, I am primarily concerned with accessing the 'Net from xpPRO; I am not interested in printer and file sharing with xpHOME.

THX...

dsuther

p.s. May I add: at the present time, I am primarily concerned with accessing the 'Net from xpPRO; I am not interested in printer and file sharing with xpHOME.

P.P.S. My apologies. Should be: homecomputeraid; nellie2

...I was able to establish a LAN on the xpPRO. Regrettably, it still will not access the Internet....

Silly question:

Do you have the proper NIC driver installed from the DELL website for your XP Pro machine?

Yes. Well... I uninstalled it to-day and then 'add-new-hardware'd it. The machine

found it and loaded the on-board driver(the same old driver, ca. 2002).

Perhaps I should look for a newer driver from 3-COM or Dell.

Try this site,dsruther.http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX240&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

If you have been to this site and the driver(s) required are installed on your machine,i couldn't even guess what the problem could be.Sometimes even a clean install will "skip" a driver.It has beeen rare in my fiddlins,but it has happened.

If you want to continue this monster hunt,keep your thread updated.

:hi:

Try this site,dsruther.http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_GX240&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

If you have been to this site and the driver(s) required are installed on your machine,i couldn't even guess what the problem could be.Sometimes even a clean install will "skip" a driver.It has beeen rare in my fiddlins,but it has happened.

If you want to continue this monster hunt,keep your thread updated.

:hi:

Hello bludgard; I am wondering whether there might be some thing preventing out-going 'Net traffic. After I re-installed

my NIC card, I shut down the router, the xpHOME and the xpPRO. After awhile I restarted the router and only the xpPRO; the xpPRO was held up because it was downloading and installing seventy-seven Windows Updates: still no

IE .

This xpPRO was previously used in school, no doubt one of a large order for the school board. Its been two

years since. Could this mean something?

thx

dsuther

Have you tried to access the internet with a different browser?Chrome,Firefox,etc.?

What browser are you using now?

IE 7. I downloaded and installed IE 8 yesterday, but I don't know if it will run properly; I have only 384 Megs

of RAM. BTW, I didn't go looking for it; it came to me and offered itself - I can't get out. I may try to get Firefox on a USB stick and try it. First, though, I'm going to install the NIC(dlink 530tx) I had in the win98 machine and try setting up a connection.

dsuther

I am at this moment on an Optiplex X110 with a 730 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM.10 GB HDD.Runs IE8 perfectly fine on XP Home.

Give IE8 a try and if the problem persists,try Firefox.

Do I understand correctly that you have never made an outgoing connection on this machine?

That is correct. For example, the seventy-seven Windows updates and the IE 8 came through, but when I clicked the link to read about the wonderful features of IE 8, I could "not display the website". I'll try IE 8 after I install

the PCI NIC.

dsuther

This xpPRO was previously used in school,...

Is there an option to reinstall Windows?

I am getting a little spooked here with the aforementioned excerpt....:unsure:

Dare I ask how you came about ownership of this computer?

Since you dare to ask, :dry: I may tell you that when the new school was built, I bought it, a monitor and some

shelving out of the old school; the Sys. Admin. there was kind enough to wipe the C: drive and re-install

the bare xpPRO OS. She also made me a disc: "all drivers". I fail to see how this information can help in solving my problem. NO doubt the school folks would be chuffed to

know someone is taking such an interest in...their business.

I am now getting "network cable is unplugged" and status:"disconnected" . I wonder if

it came with Warranty??

dsuther

Try installing the trial version of Network Magic.If it is possible to make an outgoing connection,this may help.

There is the possibility of hardware failure,as well.

"I wonder if it came with Warranty??"

Since you purchased this from the school,maybe the Admin can get this sorted for you.

Surely she will understand that without an internet connection on this dated machine,it is pretty much useless.

"NO doubt the school folks would be chuffed to know someone is taking such an interest in...their business."

Glad to hear that someone will get chuffed from this knowledge.You have brought this to a public forum,therefore making your business public.

My appologies for not being able to help further.

Maybe someone else here can offer assistance....

:pardon:

Try installing the trial version of Network Magic.If it is possible to make an outgoing connection,this may help.

Since you purchased this from the school,maybe the Admin can get this sorted for you.

Surely she will understand that without an internet connection on this dated machine,it is pretty much useless.

"NO doubt the school folks would be chuffed to know someone is taking such an interest in...their business."

Glad to hear that someone will get chuffed from this knowledge.You have brought this to a public forum,therefore making your business public.

I was being facetious. Two years have gone by since then. But I mentioned this computer's provenance in an earlier post.

dsuther

Cap'n Bludgard said: - Maybe someone else here can offer assistance....

Cant ever hope to diagnose from the information supplied.

Would be going around in circles for evermore !

Best than can be hoped for is just to offer pointers and hope that dsuther has the wherewithal to be able to follow those pointers and reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Pointers:

** Winping (Free Downloadable Software) **

** Complete Internet Repair (Free Downloadable Software) **

How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection problems in Windows XP

How To Resolve Limited Or No Connectivity Errors in Windows

Turn off/uninstall software or hardware firewalls.

If after implementing the software fixes, and reading and acting upon the guides there should still be no internet connection, it would then be time to be thinking that perhaps a friend with computer savvy should be called upon, or the problem passed to a professional computer tech.

John.

- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

I was being facetious. Two years have gone by since then. But I mentioned this computer's provenance in an earlier post.

dsuther

See:"You`re quite right,P.W.

They are opening a new school here, and they had a "flea market" at the old

building-- furniture, computers, shelving, lockers etc. for sale.

My teen-aged son attended that school two years ago, and his username

and password are still valid!!

My problem now is that I "cannot log on because the domain SRSB(the school board)

is not available.This computer was on a network at the school, of course.

The other domain(name of school) is likewise not available.

How do I tell this computer that it is now a "stand alone" unit??

Thanks for any help;"

March 2009 post. (before your time, I think...)

ds

dsuther

See:"You`re quite right,P.W.

They are opening a new school here, and they had a "flea market" at the old

building-- furniture, computers, shelving, lockers etc. for sale.

My teen-aged son attended that school two years ago, and his username

and password are still valid!!

My problem now is that I "cannot log on because the domain SRSB(the school board)

is not available.This computer was on a network at the school, of course.

The other domain(name of school) is likewise not available.

How do I tell this computer that it is now a "stand alone" unit??

Thanks for any help;"

March 2009 post. (before your time, I think...)

ds

So far, this is the only Windows Forum I have encountered where the members are more concerned about the starch in one's linen than they are about the hole in one's boot.

ds

So far, this is the only Windows Forum I have encountered where the members are more concerned about the starch in one's linen than they are about the hole in one's boot.

ds

Hi dsuther.

The hole in one's boot can be rectified by following the pointers I gave you in a previous post.

I spent quite a lot of time looking for answers for you, - rather than starching my linen. :D

You return with no story to tell us as to how those pointers helped you, or a word of thanks you naughty little chappie. :flowers:

If you found the information in the pointers fell outside of your particular area of expertise, I would suggest that you read once again the last paragraph before my ending signature.

A basic translation of the paragraph would be:

"We have tried to help you, but if you still cannot fix your problem, it is suggested that a person with computer skills be physically present to assist you. This may or may not require a transaction of money."

Until you have carried out any such requirements as specified in previous posts, there would seem to be very little point in you posting for a while.

If you should do so without due consideration to requests for your goodself to update on ongoing implementation of such said advice. It must be understood by you that your posts may not be answered.

I do hope that one's hole is soon fully stabilised, and receives the attention to be once again fully active in the requirement that I draw the conclusion that it so justly deserves.

John.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, MANEMAN;

I should have said that I had already checked out those Pointers, and many more, before I brought my problem to the Forum. Most recently, I studied links to the "network cable unplugged" and "LAN disconnected" messages: still no luck. I set up a Broadband WAN connection, but alas..."disconnected".

Then I followed your other suggestion: I called my ISP support line. That nice lady

set up a LAN for me and.."cannot display...". She also set up a WAN for me, and I tried it out: "...cable unplugged...". She then told me to update my driver(I was back on the 3Com adapter at this time). I decided to fit another adapter-WB580-and call her back, so I Shut Down and unplugged the 3Com. I put the WB580 in a slot and reached for the cable. Just for the hell of it, I plugged in the 3Com and started up; lo and behold, the wee icons on the taskbar were BOTH blinking! I tried the internet and voila! I got connected on WAN! She must have done something on her end that required unplugging and a restart.

She made a hole for the gremlins to go out.

I'll go with WAN for now.

dsuther

• Upvote 1

Thanks,MANEMAN.+1

And thank you,dsuther for keeping your thread updated.I know now that a networked machine could in fact be blocked by the ISP.Or a simple resetting of the network adaptor.

Anyway,surely someone (myself included) will learn from this experience and possibly pass on knowledge gained therefore encouraging the civilized tribe to thrive.

I stand on the horizon seeking....

Thanks,MANEMAN.+1

And thank you,dsuther for keeping your thread updated.I know now that a networked machine could in fact be blocked by the ISP.Or a simple resetting of the network adaptor.

Anyway,surely someone (myself included) will learn from this experience and possibly pass on knowledge gained therefore encouraging the civilized tribe to thrive.

I stand on the horizon seeking....

Well, it's not over yet. To-day my WAN went down(error 691), so I told LAN to connect and it did! I'm on the 'Net as I type this; however, I don't have the wee icons on the taskbar :uhm:

I don't know what'll happen to-morrow.

dsuther