Having drops outs and messages with Modem

Lamb Chop

I was on a D Link 200 and it kept dropping out and I was told to buy a new modem as this one was no longer supported etc and 8 years old.

Bought a Netgear DM111Pv2 and it connects via Ethernet - I set it up myself on 3rd March 11 and for a while it went fine.

Set on PPPoE and then started to drop out around 4.30pm and simply wouldn't connect the computer - on the task bar is says connected but when you go to Status is has no IP address, Subway address or default gateway. Says lease obtained and usually for 5 minutes (?) beats me that!

I tried using windows repair and it gets a new IP address - this was on PPPoE. Did this for quite a few months as only use the computer day time and thought maybe people get home from work and the internet gets a bit crowded or something.

then it started to drop out randomly and using the repair function didn't always keep it on - started to get a shorter times with designation addresses etc.

Rang my ISP who went through it with me for a couple of hours - settled on using PPPoA instead.

Again this seemed to work for a while but then started the 4.30pm drops out after a month or so.

I just got off earlier but today it has been dropping out constantly since 7am as got on early.

And I must do something as find getting behind trying to get back to connected etc.

Now my ISP has a static address and Netgear help says something re dynamic address. Is this the reason why it is again now dropping out.

Latest is that I kept getting low connectivity and then a message saying

'IP address conflict with another system on the network'.

Not sure what that means. I have one computer stand alone - no others so no network as I understand it.

I spent over 2 weeks on and off with support at my ISP[in May and June] which is up in Malaysia and I have a problem understanding or rather trying to get the tech there whose English is not first language so my colloquial English may be a problem. He has been good enough to ring me every day and see if it was working and it did for a while but back to 4.30pm as above and today dropping out every couple of minutes. They seem to think my usage is low so dropping out at 4.30pm is not much of a problem and they cant solve it. Or that is how it went over to me - problem being I am English and they are not so even thought their English is not that bad, it makes a barrier. They really tried. Good for around 6 weeks as long as shut down at 4.30 when lost it again. Could live with that.

My speed is 1500/256 and this modem/router is up to 100Mbps so a fast one. I also had one message saying something like the two modems mine and my ISP's (I think) were missing each other on speed.

So I wonder if it is the slower speed or the dynamic v static which I have asked the techs at my ISP and didnt get any answer to that - but as I said language barrier.

Maybe bite the bullet and pay another $20 to go up to next speed? Happy enough with what I have actually as only read the newspapers, email and forums etc. Dont download Movies or big files.

And if so can use off peak.

Hope this makes sense to someone here and it is my language and not my senior moments kicking in!:rolleyes:

OOps no answers here either?

Dynamic v static is one reason maybe but I cant find anyone to tell me - even the techs at my ISP ignore that question. Plus the speed - is it my router/modem whatever it is called faster than the speed of my plan? Tech didnt answer that one either.

As it is ADSL2+, the Netgear DM111Pv2 supports speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s - your current package is for up to up to 2 Mbit/s.

Upgrading to a higher speed package will not necessarily mean that you will not still get this dropping out.

Google reveals that this disconnection problem seems to be quite common with this particular router.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version ?

As it is ADSL2+, the Netgear DM111Pv2 supports speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s - your current package is for up to up to 2 Mbit/s.

Upgrading to a higher speed package will not necessarily mean that you will not still get this dropping out.

Google reveals that this disconnection problem seems to be quite common with this particular router.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version ?

Boris thanks for reply!

Not to date - tried sometime back and said no new version etc.

will try again - thanks for the reminder.

I was though getting the disconnection with my D Link 200DSL and that seems to coincide with the upgrade of the exchange to ADSL2 late last year - first got the disconnection problem with the D Link in November and changed over in March.

Hope it is not the router but if so - must buy another - at the time I was trying to buy the D Link model they had advised to replace outdated one but no one had it in stock - all said Netgear was better and more popular.

Does the fact that my ISP is static and my router is dynamic count?

Only other ISP on my exchange is dynamic and only $5 more a month bundled with phone I already have with them anyway. For ADSL2+