Laptop Onboard Speakers Constantly Popping

bludgard

Last night I was browsing the web and lo and behold the speakers on my Gateway M675PRR started making this God-awful popping noise. It pops about 10 times per second. Constant.

The soundcard is SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

Booting to Safe Mode results in the same behaviour.

Uninstalling the device and rebooting: Same.

Draining all power from the machine and rebooting delays the popping for about 3 seconds.

The popping does not replicate through headphones or external speakers; but continues through internal speakers when they should bee off. Turning off the internal speakers completely has no effect.

What gives? Anyone ever experience this before? Is the soundcard arcing from a capacitor or some such thing?

Thanks, rong.

I was hoping for some ideas before I start tearing it apart again. However, since there has been 1 reply (and I have repaired 2 cars since posting), I will check the speakers as per your recommendation, and if all seems OK, I will just snip the leads and be done with the dirty deed.

One

Edit: The Wife took it apart and found a nick in a speaker wire about the size of the corner of a razors edge (don't know how she saw it). Just so happens that I place my palm heavily on the rest (right on top of the wire) while typing. Must have rubbed it the wrong way. I disconnected (didn't have to cut :ranting: ) the speakers. I wanted to get the laptop back together and I didn't want to have another round af assembly/disassembly in case that wasn't the cause. Just plain lazy. Gives me a reason to get some nice desktop speakers. I use it as a desktop anyhow....

• 6 months later...