DLL: Side-by-side configuration incorrect

Hello.

I'd like to ask for your advice:

I am using a 3rd party dll (source code is not available to me) in my program, which fails to load; the error returned (when loading the dll) is:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail"

From SxSTrace, I got this:

INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Users\***\<DLL LOCATION>\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.

INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.

INFO: End assembly probing.

ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".

ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.

I tried installing the VC Redistributable package on my system (Vista Home Premium, 32 bit), but it didn't help.

Do you have any idea what to try?

Thanks a lot!

Melanie

Download "Dependency Walker" to diagnose your problem

Get it here: http://www.dependencywalker.com/

The subject of Dependency Walker is far too broad to discuss on a forum and would be pretty futile due to the amount of information for it already out there on the internet.

However: Here is just a snippet that could be in line with your investigation.

Use Dependency Walker to check that your dependent libraries are loaded correctly.

1. In Dependency Walker, open the Options menu and select Configure Module Search Order....
  2. In the bottom right corner of the new dialog, click Browse... and select the directory XXXX.exe (or equivalent) is in.
  3. In the bottom left corner, click Add Directory.
  4. Do not add any other directories; in particular, do not add your extension's (or XULRunner application's) components directory.
  5. After clicking OK in the top right, check for any missing dependencies using File -> Open -> XXXX.exe (or equivalent).

• Also check that the function NSGetModule is exported.
  • You can also use the Profiling feature of Dependency Walker to view failed module loads while running your application. Open the Profile menu and select Start Profiling.... In the dialog that appears, you can provide command line parameters and click OK to start the application. You will see any modules that failed to load in the module list.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

This can be handy at times: http://www.softpedia...SvrHelper.shtml when the uninitiated are registering/unregistering DLL's

3rd Party .DLL ? - Dont even bother to explain why you described it like that. Just delete it and get a new one. :wacko:

Load Lib problems can be as broad as they are long (That's why you are going to use Dependency Walker) but missing or corrupt .dll's will set off this chain of events. :(

"Extended File Details" is useful to have around to check out files.

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mm1zitj2w3w

It looks like this: (I've dropped a DLL into it on my computer to give you a few ideas)

extendedfiledetails.jpg

Hope you get it fixed. :)

Other people may have learnt something anyway.- And found a few more bits of freeware. B) B)

John.