Keyboard problem since Installing Win 8

jimlvnm

A week or so ago, I downloaded and installed the Win 8 Customer Review software. Since then I have had a lot of trouble witn "Invalid Password" situations. I have traced this problem to the fact that when I am in either Internet Explorer or Firefox, the OS-Keyboard interface never recognizes the entry of characters (Numerals or Special Symbols) on the upper tier keys. I't DOES, however, recognize numerals entered from the KeyPad at the right. Of course, the KeyPad does not have the special characters such as "@" and such. This lack of recognition is what had resulted in the failure of many of my LogIn attempts.

I have tested the keyboard (USB) on two other computers and it works fine and without error on them. I can also use the keyboard normally while in any email handler program (normally Thunderbird).

I don't know that Win 8 is the cause of the problem, I did not have this problem before changing over. I have tried to go back to Win 7, but the installer tells me that I cannot go back from W8 to W7????

Anyone got a solution to my problem (other than applying at the local Mental Institution?

When using pre-release software (such as Windows 8) it is very important to have the means to be able to revert to your original system either from a full system backup or from the original installation disk.

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview web page states:

Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

• 6 months later...

I am having exactly the same problem with the final version downloaded on October 31, 2012. Not the preview version, the version purchased and downloaded from microsoft. This problem is showing up on other boards also. Top row - numbers row- will not show/display alternate characters that shift key produces when on a web based application, like this board. Numeric key pad works w/o a problem but characters mapped to the shift + upper row display either nothing, or erroneous keys. Control panel shows US English keyboard and when checking, no new drivers available. Thoughts?

I just upgraded to Win 8 pro and have a similar issue..after surfing many pages I found my solution and hopefully yours. If you are running Comcast's free antivirus you need to unistall the Constant Guard then reboot it fixed my problem after the reboot.

"The problem is with the GuardedID module that is part of the CGPS installation. Removing that program via Add/Remove Programs will correct the keyboard issue.

Comcast is aware of the problem but the only recommendation they have made to date is to uninstall GuardedID."