Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1526.0

Microsoft has released a new version of MSE (the previous version was 2.0.xxxx.x).

This update to Microsoft Security Essentials is part of the standard product update release cycle. This service update contains product enhancements to improve performance and user experience. We have improved on Microsoft Security Essentials' Automatic Remediation, which will automatically quarantine highly harmful threats without prompting the user to take action as well as minor bug fixes in set up, malware remediation and other areas.

Download: http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201 (note there is a 32-bit and 64-bit version).

• 4 months later...

I changed to this and have the above version due to Avast when updated no longer was compatible with XP Home

Pops said try MSE and I like it. Light and does the job seemingly BUT scan full as usual on a Saturday. Always do

all cleaning then and scans. And Sunday nagged me saying unprotected haven't done a scan etc. Cant find any way

to stop this happens daily so in the end quick scan to shut it up. :ranting: Dont surf exotic sites etc so once a week and only

usually tracking cookies etc.

Avast did find some nasties in emails though. So hope MSE does these too -does it? :unsure:

Yes, MSE scans mail as well. What email client are you using?

Are you also using CCleaner? CCleaner has the habit of deleting some MSE logs, so MSE constantly "thinks" it has not scanned the computer recently (and the MSE icon appears yellow-orange).

But once in a week is perfectly ok.

Yes, MSE scans mail as well. What email client are you using?

Are you also using CCleaner? CCleaner has the habit of deleting some MSE logs, so MSE constantly "thinks" it has not scanned the computer recently (and the MSE icon appears yellow-orange).

But once in a week is perfectly ok.

Thanks Pat.

Using Thunderbird for email

and yes I use Ccleaner - will go check it out and see if I can find a place to say do no do it :)

• 10 months later...

Thanks Pat - but which one of my computer. Amd or x86? :wub:

Think I must have the original as never updated prior to this as thought they did it automatically like most other vendors do.

I use it because went over when vendors stopped checking compatibilty with XP now of course Windows 7.

Doesnt take up much and is not intrusive but I wonder is it good enough these days since more and more nasties around computer wise. :excl:

Was on Avast.

Thanks Pat :D Its 32 bit so x86.

And found a new part to look at and my computer says M$ is 3.3 grade so not bad for circa 2008 eh. Seems to be handling W7 Ok except for something that makes all programs even the windows control etc momentarily "not responding'. Also at these times when typing it sort of starts to lag behind - and then appreasd slowly -spooky :paperbag1:

Will go update MSE now.