i need a better defrag than the one M$ throws in

ilyav

I have this laptop with winXP installed in a C: disk which has 15 GB. It is very full and is fragmented. I try using the defrag in the System Tools but it says it can't do it without more space. It asks me to delete some files and try again. Well, I can't do that, because I need all the junk in there.

I also happen to have a 140 GB D: drive which is almost empty plus another 160 GB of unused unallocated space, all of this on the 320GB hard disk.

Does anyone know of another defrag out there which can work with some of this unused space and/or some of the free space on D: to do the defragmenting job on C: ??

Conceptually, I know that it is possible but are there any smarter defrag utilities which have been designed with an option to use extra space as a "parking lot for moving the cars around" ?

Hey David,

How exactly did you 'simply moved "all the junk" off from C:\ while I defragged it'...

what kind of move or copy did you use?

what effect does a drag-and-drop between two windows-explorer have on the registry keys of any executables, or registered objects?

Is that kind of move OK, so long as I don't try and use any object in its temporaty location over on D:\ before I move it back to C:\ later on??

Can I just drag-and-drop anything that I want to move to D:\ and leave it there forever, executing any .EXE files in the new folders from D:\ ?? Because, if that answer is YES, then I want to reorganize alot of things from C:\ to D:\ so I don't have this full condition every few weeks.

Reason that I seem dumb is that I am a Linux/BSD sort of guru and rather ignorant with any kinds of M$ windows. The laptop is the wife's and I am her admin whether I like it or not. (...and I don't)

I have this laptop with winXP installed in a C: disk which has 15 GB. It is very full and is fragmented. I try using the defrag in the System Tools but it says it can't do it without more space. It asks me to delete some files and try again. Well, I can't do that, because I need all the junk in there.

Try Auslogics Disk Defrag Free - should do the trick :)

http://filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Hay Boris... thanks for the suggestion. I went and got the Auslogic Disk Defrag, installed and ran it. It did a nice job of cleaning up. But I didn't stop there... I also downloaded

Smart Defrag 2 and ran that. It had a mode where it defrags and optimizes by moving the most frequently run objects up to the front of the disk so they load faster. That made the defrag run slower, but since the reboot afterwards, things are running noticibly faster.

And Qat, thanks. I already have CCleaner installed on all three WinXP laptops. I do use it to clean off files. But I stopped using the registry cleaner after reading how it can remove a needed file if you don't carefully read the selection list BEFORE it removes objects.

I also have a trio of security products installed on all three boxes: Avira Free, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware(MBAM) and Super Anti Spyware(SAS). I run Avira daily or else every 2nd day or else I have the wife keep up with doing it. And we use MalwareBytes same interval. SAS gets run weekly. So far, these three tools are doing the job that Kaspersky Internet Security did for 3 years until it fell behind in the ratings.

Hay Boris... thanks for the suggestion. I went and got the Auslogic Disk Defrag, installed and ran it. It did a nice job of cleaning up. But I didn't stop there... I also downloaded Smart Defrag 2 and ran that. It had a mode where it defrags and optimizes by moving the most frequently run objects up to the front of the disk so they load faster. That made the defrag run slower, but since the reboot afterwards, things are running noticibly faster.

There is the same option in Auslogics - Settings/Program Settings/Algorithms + Check the box for "Move System Files to the beginning of the disk". Then if you run "Defrag & Optimise" rather than "Defrag" you will get the same results as with Smart Defrag 2.

Edit My Profile

Signature

but note our Guidelines

19) Signatures may contain images, but may not be any larger than 300x100; 468x60 banners are also permitted (within reason).

If your signature is larger than the allotted size given or deemed unacceptable by staff, you will be requested by a moderator to resize or change your image.

20) Please also try and keep text signatures under 5 lines.

Failing to comply with a moderator's request will result in the removal of your signature.

• 2 months later...