Windows 7 Theme - Group Policy

Hi All,

We have a Windows 2003 file server which hosts a customised Windows 7 theme.

We wish to deploy that to all Windows 7 client Machines, but unforuntley GPO in Windows 2008 only loads specfifc themes to new users i.e. If you log into the machine for the first time then you will recieve the theme.

When we set the theme in GPO current users are only picking up a blackscreen - Seems the background and screenshots are not loading.

Is there a way deploying themes to Windows 7 machines to current and new users regardless if they have logged into the machine for the first time or not.

Thanks to all that contribute, all help apperciated.

You could roll out a registry fix to each & all Windows 7 client machines once the deploy is done and they have logged on for the first time.

Current users with a black screen would need the theme updated before the fix of course.

On the client machine only It goes like this:

Open Registry Editor. To do this, type regedit in Start menu search area and hit enter.

In the Registry Editor, move to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

(If you can’t see the Explorer key just create it by right-clicking on the Policies key and selecting New Key option).

Next, in the right hand pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named NoThemesTab and set its value to 1.

From now onwards, you will not be able to install and change the theme. When you try to install a new theme you will get Your system admin has disabled changing of the theme error.

It "may" just stop the current users theme from changing to black screen when you next deploy.

Worth a try.

EDIT:

Similarly on the client machine you can:

Type gpedit.msc in Start menu search area and hit enter to open Local Group Policy Editor.

In the Policy Editor, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel and finally Personalization

In the right-side, look for the setting named Prevent changing theme option. Double-click on the same to open its properties.

Change the property setting to Enable and click apply button. From now onwards, Windows 7 will not allow users to change the current theme. Make sure that you remember this tip as you need to disable Prevent changing theme setting to change the theme.

• 2 months later...

Hi ya Keith nice to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and the good lady ? And I do believe you had a very nice cat also didn't you ? :rolleyes:

Yes that Nanotechnology thing that you came up with is exactly the thing that I do. Cant say too much. All hush-hush don't you know old boy.

Well I would say that you have picked a very good year to not come to Cornwall, but if you are ever drifting down this way again, do let us know.

John.

Hi ya Keith nice to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and the good lady ? And I do believe you had a very nice cat also didn't you ? :rolleyes:

Yes that Nanotechnology thing that you came up with is exactly the thing that I do. Cant say too much. All hush-hush don't you know old boy.

Well I would say that you have picked a very good year to not come to Cornwall, but if you are ever drifting down this way again, do let us know.

John.

Only just seen this post. We are both well thanks, hope that you are too. Enjoyed visiting you, how is the dog? The only cat I have ever had was when I was a kid, wouldn't give one house room nos, horrible vermin.