usb adapter v pci card

What is your router George is it Wireless G (up to 54 Mbps), or N (up to 300 Mbps) ?

A Wi-Fi network connection operates at the highest possible speed that both devices (endpoints) can support.

e.g. An 802.11g laptop connected to an 802.11n router,will network at the lower speeds of 'G'.

Hi George

That is exactly the same model as the one I am currently using :)

It is G spec - so any G USB dongle or PCI wireless card will give you G performance.

If you want to future proof yourself for your next router (which will presumably be N spec ?), then you could get an N USB dongle or card - which will work at G speeds currently, but at the higher N speed when you eventually upgrade.

It is quite hard to find G PCI wireless cards now, most new ones are the newer N PCI-Express type, so a USB dongle will be easier for you to get.

Personally I suggest one from Edimax, TP-Link or Netgear rather than a generic one.

On XP (depending on the make/model of card), you normally just run the CD that comes with it and then turn off the PC, fit the card. and boot up again.

Windows will then find the new device and away you go.

You shouldn't need an ethernet connection.

should i run a ethernet cable to my new hardware at first to establish a internet connection?

If a permanent wired connection is practical for your setup, my advice is to stick with that. Far more reliable than wireless.

• 4 weeks later...