Windows 7: USB devices only load in safe mode

I have recently noticed an issue on my machine that has caused USB devices to not be displayed in "Computer" or accessible from anywhere else while using normal mode.

During diagnosis of the problem, I booted up in safe mode and noticed that all USB was working fine so came to the conclusion that there must be a software issue when in normal mode. I have also reloaded the USB hubs and updated my drivers but this still has not fixed my issue.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer a solution or advise me of a way that I can see if an application is locking/using my USB ports.

Computer info:

Dell XPS 8300

Intel i7-2600K

16GB RAM

nVidia GTS450

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

When did you notice this, have you tried a system restore? Most (all?) modern Dell desktops use USB exclusively for mouse and keyboard - do they work normally?

How about trying a Clean boot;

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - http://is.gd/vjwrNN

Strangely, the mouse, keyboard and wireless adapter all still work fine. It is only when i try to use a usb flash drive, connect a camera/phone by USB or any other devices that causes problems.

Thanks for the clean boot option, hadn't thought of that - I will try that to see if I can find the problem, I am certain it is a service/process being loaded during normal startup.