A strange one.

A friend of ours asks me to look at her nieces laptop, which she said had a virus on it.

Said laptop arrived this morning.

On switching it on, it gave me a Christmas present, a BSOD.

I tried loading safe mode with networking and the dreaded BSOD again, so I just loaded safe mode and no problems.

Into the control panel to stop it rebooting after the BSOD, so I could see the information, and then some research on that information pointed to a Wi-Fi driver error.

Being idle I thought I would try a system restore , when I opened it up the last entry was for August and it advised me it would probably not be able to install to such and old restore point.

So into device manager and disabled them, rebooted the laptop and no more blue screens, so onto my laptop and downloaded the latest drivers of the Acer website, transfered them to a pen drive then installed them on the Acer.

Everything now works, first the AV was screaming to be updated, the Windows hit me with 54 updates and a scan with MBAN deleted 32 entries .

Crap cleaner took nearly 3 GB's of crap of it and 176 registry entries.

What I thought was just a virus cleaning exercise, turned into a 6 hour marathon, with all the scans and updates.

Now it is all up to date and I have done a system image, in case it comes back my way again.

I tried loading safe mode with networkig the dreaded BSOD again, so I just loaded safe mode and no problems.

..., and then some research on that information pointed to a Wi-Fi driver error..

Could this actually be a driver issue? :unsure:

Capture-12.jpg

Yes the fact that safe mode did not give a BSOD, but with networking did, narrowed it down a lot, but I still needed to see the BSOD error report to find out if it was hardware or software related.